Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepMan with Gen3 Electronics

Posted by c.ehscheidt 
RepMan with Gen3 Electronics
October 13, 2009 09:42AM
Hi,

I'm building a RepMan as my bachelor thesis project. We ordered a RepMan Complete Kit to get started.

Is it possible to replace the electronics from bitsfrombytes with the current gen3 electronics?

I want to do this, because it is not enough to just build the kit for a thesis. I have to do bit personal contribution.

So what do you think, is this easy to do or is there something which will cause problems?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Re: RepMan with Gen3 Electronics
October 13, 2009 11:24AM
Both sets of electronics do almost exactly the same job, and have come from the same original designs. They're almost interchangeable already...

I've got the feeling that swopping them over probably isn't enough of a 'contribution' either.

How about using the completed RapMan to build the parts for a Mendel - and using the gen3 electronics to build the Mendel? That's basically using the results of one kit to make and build another kit. It gives you the chance to explore the whole 'build yourself an upgraded printer' idea, and proves that it's possible for RepRaps of different species to 'breed' in the wild?

Either that, or use the completed rapman to build something interesting and unusual - a steam engine perhaps?

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
Re: RepMan with Gen3 Electronics
October 13, 2009 12:14PM
The thing is, that I'm running out of time. I've 6 weeks left for putting the RepMan together. And the kit isn't shiped yet.

I guess I haven't enough time to print and build a complete Mendel until the thesis deadline. But this would be a great thing to do after the thesis.

So, I could build the new electronics, which is kind of more advanced then just putting a kit together, and test it on the RepMan. Then after finishing the thesis I start to build a Mendel version.

What do you think, are there problems with the motors or the extruder to control them with the gen3 electronics?
It wouldn't make sense to build the new electronics now if they are not 'useable' for the RepMan. I need to legitimate the pushasing of the electronic stuff.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login