Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to mount 5kg of filament?

Posted by sam0737 
How to mount 5kg of filament?
September 29, 2009 02:50AM
I finally got my order of 50kg of ABS 3mm filament. (USD 3.6 per kg, min order 50 kg)

They are packed as 10 rolls, 5kg roll. What I didn't expect is how big a 5kg roll is! It's as big as a CAT5 cable boxes, and actually even a little bit thicker than that.

Besides Sky-Hook made by nophead, what do you guys use to mount that beast?
Sky-hook is not an option because my apartment is rented, and the lamp hook is right above my bed and I don't want to be accidentally killed in the midnight...

I wonder if a WiastTwister lying on floor work or not.
[item.taobao.com]
Re: How to mount 5kg of filament?
September 29, 2009 10:41AM
You do have a problem. eye popping smiley

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
September 29, 2009 01:58PM
I went to Carrefour store and figure out an USD 2 solution.
* A 30cm dia. plastic basket
* a curved, thin melamine bowl

Tape the bowl to the bottom of the basket, such that it can spin acceptably free. Then with a long stick lying around, it feed the filament from the above.

Like this: [picasaweb.google.com]
September 29, 2009 03:56PM
I have 5kg too and it sucks smiling smiley With a lot of patience I unwound 1kg on a new roll. Problem is that there is a lot of springy tension on the smaller roll (sorry my english). When I have time I'll look at making an MDF box with a spindle for 5 kg.
September 29, 2009 07:45PM
Pinchwheel extruders do not twist the filament (unlike the original screw thread drive) and you can use a spool mounted on an axle.

Frank Davies
281 483 9033
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login