Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie alert.....

Posted by w.harris87 
Newbie alert.....
September 30, 2013 03:39PM
I hope Ive missed something really obvious here, but would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction...

I am trying to find the DXF file for the Prusa I3 single plate.

I have found the following file;

Prusa3ALU-FREZOVANY-v4.dxf

How do I convert it to something I can send to get cut?

Ive downloaded openSCAD, but when I copy that file into it, i get a 'computer says no' alert.

Am i being really dumb!!??

Thanks in advance!

Will
Re: Newbie alert.....
September 30, 2013 03:54PM
If that is the correct and up to date file, many shops will accept a DXF. You may need to provide an overall dimension to them, so they can confirm the exact size of the part.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
September 30, 2013 04:12PM
Thank you,

To clarify, I have found that file in 'GitHub'

When I click on the file in GitHub, it shows up a load of numbers, which I am assuming are co-ordinates?

I am trying to find a way of opening the file in rhino/autocad etc. so I can see the outline of the part?

When i 'right click' on the file and try to 'save link as', the file then doesnt open in Rhino.

Im sure I am missing something really obvious.....
October 01, 2013 01:07AM
Ok. Here is the lowdown on the DXF.

I tried downloading it as well. If you right click on the name and do 'save as' , then you get just a webpage link saved.

If you click on it, then you get a full page of text.

So you have two options:

Option #1. Use my version:

Here is the file that I converted with the following changes:

Prusa i3 Einstein Variant Single Plate Frame aka 'Prusa3ALU-FREZOVANY-v4.dxf'

**Changes**:
-- Coverted to AutoCAD 2010 DWG --
-- Made all threaded holes to 2.5mm --
-- Changed the PRUSA font and added i3 --

I have two frames in this file, right one is labeled the other is not, other than that they are exactly the same.

Google Drive Shared File: Prusa i3 Einstein Variant Plate

Option #2 Do it yourself.

Click on the link, highlight all the text in the box and copy it.
Open notepad on your pc and paste it in.
Save the file as myprusaframe.dxf (make sure it does not add the .txt extension to the file name)
Open in CAD

You may have to change several of the layer colors as I use a black background and could not see the y carriage, so I switch to a white background and then the main frame disappeared. So I finally went back to my standard black background and changed all layers to white.

Then I saved as filename.dwg as I always save drawings in dwg format.

Finally if you are going to tap the holes for mounting Z brackets, Ramps, etc. Everyone has been recommending to me to change the hole dimensions to 2.5mm instead of 3. The 3mm holes will not hold a screw and you will have to use a nut. Even if you want to make your own file as in option #2, you may want to view my file for the hole sizes of where to use 3mm or 2.5mm

The heated bed mount can be threaded or non-threaded according to a few posters who were helping me. I chose to leave it threaded so I can thread a bolt up from the bottom and tighten it down to the frame, and then I can use a wing nut or something of the sort for bed leveling. That way I won't have to get a wrench to remove or adjust the heated bed.

I haven't built anything yet. So take everything I say with a grain of salt smiling bouncing smiley
October 01, 2013 02:53PM
Ahhhhhh, that makes sense! Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login