Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Communicate with Melzi board

Posted by srayner02 
Communicate with Melzi board
August 05, 2013 08:08AM
Hi,

I just finished building a RepRapPro Mendel and I would like to build a host that can communicate with the Melzi board over the USB interface.
I would like to be able to send it commands such as;

List all files on the SD card.
Select a file from the SD card.
Print file from the SD card.

I'm planning on using a 20x4 LCD display and a few push buttons to control it. Illiminating the need for a host PC running Pronterface.

The main thing i'm struggling with is where can I find a list off commands that it will understand. I didn't really want to trawl though the source code of Pronterface to find them.

Steve
Re: Communicate with Melzi board
August 05, 2013 04:43PM
I found this video the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsyK4u5UPeo

Seems about like what you're going for. Maybe you could ask the video poster. Post back to the forums if you're successful, I'm sure many people would like to see that
August 05, 2013 05:49PM
Communication is entirely via the Marlin gcodes.

1. Switch to using pronsole.

2. Define the loud and quiet commands - see http://www.britishideas.com/2013/07/28/pronsole-tips-and-tricks/

3. Send the 'loud' command. Now you will see all the gcodes for everything you do.

4. For example send the 'ls' command and then then 'sdprint' command.

Also note the 'resetsd' command defined on the web page I referred to. You will need to send this if you remove and insert the SD card before it can be accessed again.

BTW I use a Raspbery Pi running pronsole. I connect to it via SSH. This also eliminates the need for a dedicated PC and is much more flexible than an LCD.

Andy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 05:51PM by ajayre.
August 06, 2013 07:08AM
I used a Melzi + Raspberry Pi combo too.

However, I do like the look of the Beaglebone Black (BBcool smiley, with a Replicape (the latter not available yet). What's cool about the BBB is the SoC also contains two 200MHz microcontrollers (which they call Programmable Realtime Units). That means you can run stepper drivers withough worrying about OS interrupts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login