Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Dot Matrix extruder

Posted by Nathan 
A Dot Matrix extruder
May 30, 2007 06:06PM
Hi All,
One of the most frustrating things about the extruder is the inability to completely shut off the flow of plastic at will - without drips.
Are there any ideas out there on how this can be done?

I keep returning to the idea of a powder bed melted by a fine laser to produce very fine melt patterns, rather than an actual extruder.

Are there any ideas out there as to how our current extruder design can turn on and off without drip or stringing?

Nathan
Re: A Dot Matrix extruder
May 30, 2007 06:44PM
Using a laser would move the design *far* away from replicabiity -- a low cost machine that can "print" the parts to construct a working laser would be an amazing device indeed :-)

Jonathan
May 30, 2007 06:51PM
Wiper?
May 30, 2007 09:49PM
I've heard, mostly from Forrest I think, you just reverse the motor a little and that would tend to pull the filament back in. Now that's theory and how well it might work for various extruders at various temps and speeds may be another matter.
sid
May 30, 2007 09:58PM
I would think of an e-magnetic shutter instead.
Shouldn't be that much a controllerProblem (open if extruderbarrel is turning, shut if not should do I'd guess)
But I see a problem about cold material that keeps the shutter from opening winking smiley

Maybe something like a needled nozzle, if the needle is heated it'll be okay.

'sid
May 31, 2007 09:19AM
sid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think of an e-magnetic shutter instead.
> Shouldn't be that much a controllerProblem (open
> if extruderbarrel is turning, shut if not should
> do I'd guess)
> But I see a problem about cold material that keeps
> the shutter from opening winking smiley
>
> Maybe something like a needled nozzle, if the
> needle is heated it'll be okay.
>
> 'sid

I still think there would be a problem with threading - all the prints I've seen so far have had to have the fine threads cleaned off. I'm not sure if a wiper method would completely solve this either.
Maybe the extruder can deposit power (somehow...) then melt it due to a high temperature needle in close proximity?
Anonymous User
May 31, 2007 02:17PM
"then melt it due to a high temperature needle in close proximity?"

I was thinking a jet of hot air... but both of these solutions would result in a secondary heating element. That's a big mark against 'em.

I wonder what effect vibration might have on a (semi?) molten plastic thread. Might liquify it enough that it gives up... Might have no effect at all.

~D
May 31, 2007 03:04PM
"I was thinking a jet of hot air... but both of these solutions would result in a secondary heating element. That's a big mark against 'em."

Extruder-type plastic welding machines work on this principle.

"I wonder what effect vibration might have on a (semi?) molten plastic thread. Might liquify it enough that it gives up... Might have no effect at all."

Stratasys original patent grant mentioned the use of ultrasound to achieve a molten state in plastics a few degrees lower than one would ordinarily expect to see happen. I do not know if they actually used this approach in commercial product.
sid
May 31, 2007 07:23PM
what about the famous spitbag-style?
If the extruder should extrude, theres a spitbag placed under the extrudernozzle ( that may be a spoon or whatever)
everything that will drip will not drip onto the print but into the spitbag grinning smiley

That is not elegant nor beautiful, but it can help reducing the unwanted threads.

*justthinkingaloud*
'sid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login