Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA / ABS and Pets

Posted by Thom 
PLA / ABS and Pets
June 08, 2013 11:46PM
Hi all!
I'm just starting to get into the printing scene (still haven't received my first printer, the waiting is getting very old very fast), when it occurred to me that I may need to be careful if I ever get a bird like I've been thinking about. I searched around and had little luck, so I thought I'd ask here if any of you have seen or heard anything useful.

Obviously I would never expose a bird to ABS fumes. That's just stupid, as it's a recipe for a dead bird and a lot of tears.

My questions are:
    [1] Is printing PLA without a fume collection device typically considered safe around pets?
    [2] Should a pet get a hold of something I've printed, either out of PLA or ABS, and chewed it, would just chewing it be harmful?
    [3] Same as above, but including ingestion of the chewed bits?
    [4] If I had to choose ABS or PLA, would a pet getting a hold of something made of one of those be worse than the other?
    [5] If I can typically consider one of these plastics safe for a pet, could I reasonably make objects designed for a pet to play around with? Certain parrots like puzzles, and imo it would be cool to design progressively harder puzzles to solve.
Thanks!
Re: PLA / ABS and Pets
June 09, 2013 02:46AM
4. PLA would definitely be better than ABS as PLA is derived from cornstarch.
June 09, 2013 04:38AM
Not that I particularly disagree, but you can make biodiesel from corn too, and I wouldn't feed biodiesel to anybody. Just because something is made out of edibles doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to eat...

Legos are made of ABS and we keep them around pets all the time. I've yet to hear of a bird getting sick from chewing on Legos.

Thanks for the input.
June 09, 2013 04:56AM
You might want to avoid a PTFE based hot end as I believe birds are very sensitive to the fumes it gives off when too hot.

Although basic PLA is non toxic to humans (and I would guess birds as well), who knows what pigments and plasticisers, etc, get added when it is made into filament. Maybe use a reputable supplier and ask them.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 09, 2013 06:09AM
If you burn cornstarch you also get cancerous fumes.

It's about the printing temp.
June 09, 2013 07:06PM
Awesome, thanks for the notes. I'll make sure that whatever I'm printing with, I'm always using a (probably makeshift) fume hood even if the fumes are generally considered "safe".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login