Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any tips on replacing j head hot end PTFE liner?

Posted by Jonny1983 
Any tips on replacing j head hot end PTFE liner?
May 23, 2013 07:18AM
Last night I was removing a blockage on my hot end and unfortunately damaged the PTFE liner. So this needs replacing, does anyone have any tips for this?
I'm using the stock j head that came with Nopheads Mendel90 kit, which is a MK5B.

I've read somewhere that some PTFE tubing is tapered and therefore will need to be inserted correctly.

Below are the steps I plan to do
  1. Heat up nozzle and reverse the feed to remove the filament then allow to cool
  2. Remove the nozzle and unscrew wires from terminals
  3. Unscrew the brass end from the nozzle holder
  4. Remove old PTFE liner - Any tips on this?
  5. Instert new liner and reassemble
Re: Any tips on replacing j head hot end PTFE liner?
May 23, 2013 07:31AM
Last time i did this I used a steel rod just smaller than the outside of the ptfe and just pushed it out. Was a snug fit but came out easily. Putting a new one is just the reverse.
May 23, 2013 08:12AM
Probably best to follow the instructions from the original designer:
[reprap.org]
May 23, 2013 08:57AM
i use a 3inch wood screw, twist the screw into the ptfe and the threads bite into the tubing, then just pull the old tubing out.
May 23, 2013 10:27AM
Can I pull it out from the top or does it only come out of the bottom after removing the head?
May 23, 2013 10:53AM
Jonny1983 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can I pull it out from the top or does it only
> come out of the bottom after removing the head?

There's a hollow set screw in the top you can remove, then the PTFE can be pulled out from the top. No need to remove the nozzle.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
May 23, 2013 02:25PM
It's easier to remove if you take the nozzle off. What I've done a bunch of times is unscrew the holder from the nozzle, take out the set screw, and then push the liner out from below using the back end of a 1/4" drill bit.
May 28, 2013 08:04AM
I decided to remove the nozzle to give it a bit more of a clean. So I removed the nozzle and cleaned the threads, applied some new PTFE tape screwed it back it, heated it up and then tightened it. Inserted the new PTFE liner, then the washer and hollow screw.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login