Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printer from electronics waste

Posted by MattMoses 
3D printer from electronics waste
May 15, 2013 01:13AM
If you didn't already see it on the RepRap blog, there is an interesting article about a project called W.AFATE, which is an effort to build a 3D printer from recycled electronics at the WoeLab in Lomé, Togo. The project was conceived by Afate Gnikou.

Electronics waste from all over the world is brought to the nearby town of Agbogbloshie in Ghana, where the metals are recovered by unsafe and highly polluting methods (the plastics are burned off and workers sift through what is left by hand). The idea of W.AFATE is to recycle some of this waste (CPUs, printers, scanners) into 3D printers.

For those of us who can't read French, here is what Google Translate has to say about the page:

The origins of the W.AFATE.

W.AFATE printer is inspired by the Prusa Mendel with a model was mounted Woelab-Lomé when AchiCamp 2012, thanks to a kit imported from France. Very spontaneously Afate having identified the problem posed by the availability of a kit in the realization of this project, initiated the process of manufacturing an empowering machine easy to reproduce, 100% based on recycling and other materials available anywhere. Interest is focused on IT debris namely CPU, printers and scanners. The architecture of the CPU is suitable to serve as a framework for the machine, the rails and motors printers and scanners come here to add to give life to a 3 - Printer craft whose heart is the Arduino board. W.afate name is a composition of "W" WoeLab, and "Afate" the name of the inventor.

Supposed to provide solutions adapted to African conditions and realities, it is an initiative that is part of the ethical HighLowTech WoeLab is to equip the various social strata with proximity technology and they also provide the ability to create their own machines with a very detailed and simple as possible documentation.

Ecology. Democracy Technology. Solidarity.

Promote e-waste and help clean up computer dumpsites like Agbogbloshie Ghana extend across entire neighborhoods.

Put technology within the reach of ordinary people and to Africa, not a spectator, but a full-fledged actress with a next industrial revolution most virtuous.

Promote the diversion and recycling of waste to avoid scrap and generate new economic contribution to African households, schools and Internet cafes machines.

Some of the challenges that Afate very innocently kissed by embarking on the project of making the first 3D printer scale, and non-family openSource RepRap.

The WoeLab calls for support. Your help will enable W.AFATE to emerge and thereby reduce the gap between one of the most prestigious technology of our time and modest people.
Re: 3D printer from electronics waste
May 19, 2013 03:55AM
I just want to point out that the Ulule link provided on the RepRap blog has a language switcher to the top right, so there was already an English version of it: [www.ulule.com]

Ulule, which I didn't know before, is an European alternative to Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I registered so I could fund this project (right after Adrian Bowyer!). 28 days left and a little more than half the relatively modest amount to go. It would be nice if its funding was successful!
May 19, 2013 08:22AM
A very worth while project
Lets hope it gets off the ground

Please support W.Afate 3D printer project in Togo at [www.ulule.com]
June 08, 2013 02:44PM
June 08, 2013 03:34PM
MattMoses,

I already provided that link in my previous reply.

With only 8 days left and still 30% to go, I fear they won't make it. In fact I'm pretty sure they won't. A shame, considering how much less socially important projects on Kickstarter get their funding in a matter of hours.

sad smiley
June 08, 2013 04:13PM
NormandC
I already provided that link in my previous reply.

I know, NormandC, thank you. I figured it wouldn't hurt to add it again smiling smiley

They only need $1400. I think they can still make it... Tell your friends! Send it to hackaday! Post it on reddit!
June 08, 2013 11:20PM
Well I did the first, don't know the second and don't do the third (I do not see the point of Reddit eye rolling smiley). I did talk of the project on the 3D Printing Google+ Community and sent an email to Fabbaloo blog which talked about it this week: [fabbaloo.com]
June 11, 2013 07:06PM
Well I was wrong. They did it! They're 103% funded with still 4 days to go.

smiling smiley
June 13, 2013 05:25PM
Now even 121%.

Anyway, it's already a lot of money, especially for that country. I hope you can manage with the amount and I wish you good luck with your project! smiling smiley
September 08, 2013 04:00PM
There are some new videos on the W.AFATE project page. Interesting design of an extruder made from recycled parts...
October 10, 2013 02:41AM
An excellent step, hope the process grows soon and the number of products manufactured from recycled products increases in volunes. E waste recycling will greatly contribute in conserving the future, hoping that every body contributes significantly to it .
October 10, 2013 03:40AM
Not sure how practical it is, but couldn't the RepRap community shop look at selling off the printer components - motors, belts and pulleys - if they could somehow be extracted, sorted, tested and shipped to buyers?
October 11, 2013 10:21AM
Here is an update in a recent short news feature showing a printer in action.
October 15, 2013 09:35AM
This project is getting some more press lately. Here is an article on hackaday.
January 27, 2015 08:42AM
Here i have started a list of parts in wast electronics as i tear them down.
[diysourcing.com] please help me add to this list. I would also like to know if i would be able to use regular printer boards to control a 3d printer.what abought vcr motors just starting out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login