Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I run this?

Posted by Kouu_Tori 
How do I run this?
May 08, 2013 02:22PM
I use 3DS as a modeling tool, and I have a Prusa Mendel with RAMPS. What program can I use to run this printer? I am runnign Windows 7 32-bit. I can get the STL and G-code and all that. I just need to know what program I can use to control this thing.
Re: How do I run this?
May 08, 2013 02:37PM
The various options are listed here:
[reprap.org]

I use printrun myself, you'll need to install Python if you don't have it already.

Repetier Host also looks nice. Avoid the Reprap Host software. I'm not familiar with the others.
May 08, 2013 02:43PM
Thanks, I'll try it out.
May 08, 2013 03:09PM
Hi Kouu_Tori,

Interesting... most people dig into how it works then get a printer. You're the first person I've seen to acquire a printer and then ask "how do I control this thing!" smiling smiley

I use Repetier Host with my Prusa, but I don't have RAMPS. I find Repetier Host good.

Welcome to the RepRap forum. You're in the right place if you have any more questions.
Happy printing!
May 08, 2013 03:52PM
I started with print run (aka pronterface) but then upgraded to Repetier Host and never looked back.
May 09, 2013 01:08AM
i only use printrun when troubleshooting, because it is easier to see echo responces for me anyways, but when i do production runs and want no fuss, i use repetier host.
May 09, 2013 07:06AM
We currently run two Maker Bot's using MakerWare, can we run the RepRap Mendel on this as well?
May 09, 2013 07:50AM
No. It may be possible to force the SailFish firmware onto the Reprap electronics, though its explicitly not supported so some degree of rewriting may be needed, and then tell MakerWare that its talking to a thingomatic, but I really don't think its worth the effort.
May 09, 2013 03:01PM
I downloaded and installed Repetier. Thank you. I go tthe printer to connect, but it's not responding to any manual commands. Any tips?
July 25, 2014 09:31AM
Made a mistake and posted in a really old thread. Sorry.

When you connect repetier, at the bottom of the screen--in the middle--it probably says "unknown firmware." If it says that then you either: (1) have not uploaded firmware, or (2) you uploaded the wrong firmware file--repetier requires the .ino file not the .pde file.

If (1)... find the applicable firmware on the reprap page and follow the instructions. You'll need to also download Arduino's uploading software to talk to the arduino mega, but the full list of steps will be on the reprap page of your printer under "firmware." You'll also need a code reading program, you can download "X-code" from Apple, but my favorite is "Brackets."

If (2), then just like I said above replace the .pde file with the .ino file, recompile/upload in arduino, and then try to reconnect.

Follow these steps and Repetier will now be able to control the printer, but you will still need to calibrate the machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 09:33AM by Wildcard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login