Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Easy way of joining filament together

Posted by Xabbax 
Easy way of joining filament together
May 05, 2013 04:36AM
Wrap the filament in aluminium foil to form a tube around the two pieces. Heat up with open flame. Push together while heating. You will feel when the plastic is melting - remove from flame. Let it cool down for a few seconds. Roll the tube between your fingers to get an even joint. Remove the foil and you will have a perfect joint. The plastic must melt to have a nice joint - practice makes perfect
Attachments:
open | download - DSC00983.JPG (138.3 KB)
open | download - DSC00984.JPG (128.4 KB)
open | download - DSC00985.JPG (147.7 KB)
open | download - DSC00986.JPG (143.4 KB)
open | download - DSC00987.JPG (127.5 KB)
Re: Easy way of joining filament together
May 05, 2013 05:31AM
thanks, i will be using this to link together filament too short to use normally.
October 29, 2013 09:42AM
I had mixed results with the open flame that I used to heat the aluminium foil and changed that to a PTC heater element of 230 degrees C. Also cut the aluminium in a triangular shape to concentrate more heat at the center and less heat at the ends. Much better results with the ABS filament.

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
October 30, 2013 12:44AM
Clever, thanks!

Yvan

Singularity Machine
October 30, 2013 12:08PM
There's also RichRap's filament joiner if you want to make something more complicated, but I really like the aluminum foil trick smiling smiley
November 20, 2015 01:39PM
This is very clever. However, I am unable to do this myself. I want to splice two lengths that are 6 to 10 feet long and coiled. I am not trying to multi-color but simply to avoid throwing away the last 6 feet of filament in a spool. I simply can not get the foil wrapped neatly around the filament so that the process has a chance of working. Could you perhaps post a YouTube video showing how you do this. Since the filament I have is coiled, the filament can not be rolled on a flat surface so I am trying to wrap the foil around the filament and only manage to create a mess.
November 21, 2015 03:06AM
In one of the pictures he is rolling the foil on a black rod that looks like a carbon rod. Then he inserts the filament ends into the foil.
I don't like the heat element lying on the carpet, but he sure has a good fire insurance winking smiley

Maybe you want to try this filament splicer instead? It guides the filament ends and heats with a solder iron.
-Olaf
November 21, 2015 06:46AM
Couldn't the ends be cut cleanly with a razor knife and then welded together with a drop of acetone? ABS of course...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 21, 2015 02:27PM
DD
Couldn't the ends be cut cleanly with a razor knife and then welded together with a drop of acetone? ABS of course...

I tried this. Unfortunately I did not have good results, as it takes quite a while for the joint to harden, so in this method it must be clamped.

I also tried two pieces of aluminum clamped together, with a right sized hole as a mold. I would heat the filament with a lighter (sometimes it might combust) and jam it in from both sides. It worked sometimes, inconsistently, and the joint was quite brittle, so I don't recommend a lighter for joining ABS. The cold aluminum wold freeze it instantly, maybe too quickly. A slight bulge was left that I ground off. The hole should have been a few thousandths smaller, bulges are bad. Careful handling of the curled filament while grinding the the bulges off was enough to break the joint more than once.

I used the joined rolls on a big job. Sure enough it jammed at a joint because of a slight irregularity.

One way it could be done in a consistent way, without bulges, would be to have a clamping arrangement like the one above that can bring the filament together, into a channel that can close, in which there is a very small heat zone that is a few thousandths smaller than the filament. Heat, press, cool, unlock.

I wanted to join filament for jobs that take over 1kg, but not after that experience. Fortunately I found a place where I can get 3kg rolls, although I haven't tried one yet.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login