Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What filament and hot-end to print cooking pan handles with?

Posted by marcosscriven 
What filament and hot-end to print cooking pan handles with?
April 21, 2013 05:50AM
I have some cast iron pans with wooden handles - which have worn away at the ends.

I'd like to be able to print some new ones with my Mendel90 (with Mk V B head), but obviously PLA and ABS aren't going to be heat resistant enough.

I've heard of polycarbonate and Nylon printing, but I'm unsure exactly what I need to do it? Is an all-metal hot end essential?

I also get conflicting reports about the safety of printing Nylon, with cyanide fumes.

Thanks

Marcos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2013 06:03AM by marcosscriven.
Re: What filament and hot-end to print cooking pan handles with?
April 21, 2013 06:48AM
yeah basically, poly carbonate and nylon have a higher working temp, i read a study and they found that the only nylon that produced cyanide gas was from trimming line, and it was like 1/4 the rate that would even have any effect so not a big deal, and regular nylon had zero cyanide. so go for it, and yes you need a hot end that does not use peek or ptfe structurally to run poly carbonate, anything that uses it for a liner will be fine though.
April 21, 2013 01:38PM
Nylon as well as PC don't have that much higer stability at high themperaturs than ABS. I would use neither. Honestly i wouldn't use any of the usual thermoplast stuff you can afford, i would use wood.
Cheers
Björn
April 21, 2013 02:30PM
For a cooking pan handle you need a thermoset plastic, which are not suitable for printing.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 21, 2013 03:21PM
You don't want to mess with making pan handles, imagine what would be the consequences if one failed while you were carrying a boiling pan of pasta to the sink to drain for instance!

As Newperfection says, anything that softens with heat is a bad move for this application.

Cheers,
Robin.
April 21, 2013 04:38PM
I'll abandon that little project then! Thanks for the advice
April 21, 2013 09:51PM
you may be able to make the handle from abs, a lot of cooking utensils are made from soft plastic, it just depends on how hot the handle gets, almost all of my pans have metal handles, i dont see why you couldnt use an abs one on top if it doesnt burn your hand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login