Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

candyfab 4000

Posted by ZachHoeken 
candyfab 4000
May 10, 2007 09:44AM
[www.makezine.com]

very nice project... sugar based RP machine. we should get ahold of these guys and see if they are interested in collaborating. sugar looks like it has good possibilities.
Re: candyfab 4000
May 10, 2007 12:58PM
Hey that's really neat!
here is the link to the description: [www.evilmadscientist.com]

Hmmm... seems like these guys have a lot of experience on building parts out of powder material. They use a modified heatgun to melt granulated sugar layer by layer. They used a heatgun because they weren't concerned about high resolution.
Anonymous User
May 10, 2007 01:49PM
I wonder how hard it'd be to move over to frickin' lasers or something. You don't need something super-high powered... but all the blowing from the heat gun sure looks like it had unintended conciquences.

It's neat how the unused material is the support material. I've seen designs like this before in videos, but I have to award points for simple elegance.
Anonymous User
May 10, 2007 02:16PM
Sweet!

Sorry couldn't help myself.

How about a high powered flashlight and optics instead of a heat gun(or laser).
[extreme-geek.blogspot.com]
May 10, 2007 02:54PM
the nice thing about sugar is it would make an ideal support material. its water soluble which means you print a part, break off most of the sugar, then soak it in water. after a bit you take out your plastic part and you're good to go!
May 10, 2007 03:21PM
I think that using a medium powered laser or a light-beam is one of the applications with most potential.
you could use it for creating a sturdy support material, to cut a sheet of plastic, to correct botches and deposition artifacts, to sinter materials that melt at low temperatures...

i call uppon you, laser expert!! smiling smiley
May 10, 2007 04:13PM
thanks and then i would be diabetic in a week!!!

and i would need support material..

Bruce W
Anonymous User
May 11, 2007 09:58AM
Problems with sugar:

Hydroscopic

Basically, due to environment, the pain-in-the-butt factor of sugar could be very different in Thailand than it would be in Canada.

~D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login