Advanced

Split - General discussion about filament-printing

Posted by VDX 
VDX
Split - General discussion about filament-printing
January 17, 2013 03:15PM

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: MakiBox $200 Complete 3D Printer eye popping smiley
January 13, 2013 09:53AM
Some odd reason RepRap is stuck on filament for its printing and in the real world they will be left in the dust bin because there is a lot of research going on in the world with powder, and even liquid resin, printing.

Filament printing is akin to using an Abacus to do your math homework on. Sure, it will get the job done but how long do you have?

Another issue with RepRap is the very basis of RepRap itself in that it was supposed to become self replicating but I am seeing more and more designs of Mendel deviating from this and using more and more metal and metal plating.

So, this whole reprap premise was a glorious idea but "That which makes you may also break you." - Mr. Rhythm from the movie D.C. Cab.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: Split - General discussion about filament-printing
January 17, 2013 07:52PM
I'm sure at some point people will shift away from filament, at least in part. However, it works very well, and right now it's the only thing I can have on my desk in my room, knowing I'm not going to spill resin, there's no cleanup, no powder going everywhere. I will also be able to print all the plastic parts to whatever printer I want next with this one. While it's probably possible to get better prints, the general experience for me as an engineering student in my bedroom, wanting prototypes, this convenience is worth a lot when I'm already printing much more accurate pieces than I really need.

I switched my prusa2 to a mendelmax the other day, and it didn't really seem like I lost much of the self-replicatingness. Sure the extrusions are more metal, but it was much much simpler and quicker to put together, which is just as important for replicating. I would hesitate far less to persuade someone who wasn't hugely technical to build one, so at the end of the day, more printers.

I think it is a very good thing that the reprap community is building really cool stuff, rather than being wholly fixated on the self-replicating aspect, which for many people is not that important. I know I don't care any more about the philosophy about self replication than I do when I'm milling better parts for my mill - for me it is just a nice coincidence that a tool can improve itself.
January 18, 2013 03:50AM
UV Resin must be cleaned and then put in the sun for several hours.
Powder objects have no strength and must be impregnated with a special fluid to give it some strength.
FDM/FFF printed objects require no such after print work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 01:29PM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 18, 2013 11:08AM
1+ for print and use it, not have a pretty model that if i drop it becomes powder. really....

Costs are the main motivator of decisions. technology costs, and material costs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login