Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Build Website

Posted by dracolytch 
Build Website
May 07, 2007 02:54PM
I'm a longtime reader of the RepRap blog, basically been watching you guys do what you do. I like the idea of the project, but it's not in my area of expertise (I'm a software / web application guy).

I was going through the instructions / BOM for the Cartesian Assembly, and I think I found a way I could help.

It would be quite possible for me to come up with a web application that was basically an on-line build guide. It could house instructions, a BOM, comments, etc. That way you could look at a project either as a whole, or by each sub-assembly. For each part that's made with a rapid prototyper, include the file right next to the part name... For those that are handmade (Such as molded bits), have a link to the directions. For bits you need to purchase, it'd be simple to have printable buy-sheets (either by assembly or by project). I'm sure I could even add a bit of versioning, so that you could go back and figure out how to replace some worn out part.

Do you think this would be useful for your project? Maybe other rapid-prototype projects as they become more common too.
Re: Build Website
May 07, 2007 04:48PM
hi dracolytch,

we've been tossing around an idea for a website like this for a while... its definitely something that needs to get made and would be very helpful. we've been tackling the larger project instead recently. there is definitely some good potential to add an object oriented website that mirrors the parts of the project.

i'm also a web developer by trade, so i decided to start working on a solution. i basically was just addressing the BOM aspect... the wiki gets the job done pretty well when it comes to build instructions. you can check it out here:

[parts.reprap.org]

if you're interested in helping out, i'd be willing to give you access to the code. send me a PM and then give me a few days while i set up access for you. also, anyone interested in Java development? the host controller could use some work too...
Anonymous User
May 07, 2007 05:30PM
Looks like a good start. I was thinking of creating a site that was a little more generic in nature. That way someone could upload plans for a pump, UAV, RepRap or whatever. Kind of a cross between SourceForge and a "How to Build" site. RepRap would certainly be a good test project to start.

I'll probably generate my code from scratch, to be honest. I have some awesomely powerful PHP/MySQL tools at my disposal. smiling smiley

~D
May 07, 2007 08:10PM
cool, well if you change your mind and want to check out the code, let me know. otherwise, please keep us posted on the plans. i'd love to see a site like that. if you want someone to bounce ideas off, post here or hit me up, i have a whole laundry list of things that would be Really Cool. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login