Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

anyone purchased a GenX 3D RepRap Controller from modularcnc canada?

Posted by jamesdanielv 
anyone purchased a GenX 3D RepRap Controller from modularcnc canada?
September 27, 2012 06:11PM
I purchased one of these from modularcnc canada before asking this question. I' afraid i may have been burned. here is an auction link to review it. i saw nothing in reprap forums about it.

[cgi.ebay.com]

time will tell.
Re: anyone purchased a GenX 3D RepRap Controller from modularcnc canada?
September 27, 2012 06:37PM
I have held one in my hands and they tested the prototypes using my Restrap so I know it is real. They were developed by SOC robotics and has just been released. They added some features based on our local groups suggestions (high current heat bed circuit, fan outputs). Other than that I can't tell you much. I don't think you have much to worry about as they are a large manufacturer of SOC electronics for both open and closed source projects like Aeroquad.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 28, 2012 04:31AM
thanks. its been over 2 weeks since I purchased it Canadian air mail. I'll wait a bit longer. it does not show as shipped.
October 04, 2012 10:56AM
package finally arrived, but it does not work in the way i was expecting. it works different than arduino modules would

It uses an atiny45 for some functions communications, standard usb interface for arduino does not work.

I have troubleshoot it since receiving it 3 days ago, using 3 different pcs, 2 cables and 2 operating systems.

it is possible that the 3 computers and 2 cables i used may be the issue, but it is hard to troubleshoot when the schematic i have does not match the board i received, and the board i received has missing surface mount components and wires that jump to connect somewhere a trace failed. With no reprap documentation, and only a 1 page schematic that does not match the board i have.

product does include header pins and connectors to board for stepper motors, and was static wrapped, it powers up and the cpu blinks the led when it is powered up. i have no idea if it works past that.

if anyone else is brave enough to give this board a try go ahead and update it here.

I will have less trouble bread-boarding something than using this...

edit: they now provide a manual here:[www.soc-robotics.com]

buyer be ware..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 12:02PM by jamesdanielv.
October 04, 2012 05:34PM
That sucks. I would send it back as even the instructions are incomplete and do not have the Marlin or GRBL section completed. Very disappointing so far and I will be sure to tell them next time I see them. Last time I saw them they were talking about how it was complete and ready for the public but it clearly is not.

Did you manage to find their version of Marlin and the support files?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 05:34PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 04, 2012 09:08PM
Yes I did find the marlin and support files I think, they were posted yesterday, /or this morning in another one of this companies web auctions. I have no idea if web page has been updated as well yet, but I think my board is doa. USB comm does not work. I do have an ftdi cable around, and could try the rx/tx on board (if I the schematic is now correct, because it still looks different), but I’ve moved on. Spent a week worth of time on this. Time I can't get back.

A few things to talk to this vendor about:

use fdti chip or whatever arduino uses. It may not be perfect but people know how to get that one working!

Have a standard fdti pin out so we can troubleshoot easily. (So you could plug in a cable to run without usb, and without adding external power)

specify if power is required for usb to even function and be detected.

Do not sell proto development boards to end users, or other vendors. Sell products that look nice and finished, so we can show off their products! (mine had poor solder gobs, wires jumping above the board going across broken traces, and what appears to be missing resistors as some spots have solder and broken joints with no parts above surface.

include proper instructions and schematics that match board rev. post them in reprap wiki so everyone can find them!

also include shipping methods with detailed tracking.

if product is beta, let us know. I would have had more patience with this item if it was not sold as ready and 'turn key' and works with reprap. it is none of the three.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 09:11PM by jamesdanielv.
October 10, 2012 02:34PM
I have some images here. i have sent the board back and requested a refund.

schematic was different than the board i have. normally that would have been OK. apparently there is a new rev. I don't have access to old rev board that i just purchased

among other things like having usb not be detected as any device in windows on 3 different pcs and 2 different operating systems, there appears to be damage by missing resistors, and some traces have wires jumping to them, also noise suppression coil on left appears damaged. I have no idea if these parts are used or not. the schematic released is not complete and only ref the atmel chip. Also no documentation as of yet for marlin setup.

hopefully this vendor will fix the issues and update there device in wiki.
October 25, 2013 09:40AM
I got one of those as well. yes. I cant get communication with the usb cable. Got the led to blink, but think something else is not right. My computer says unidentified device. cant get the pc driver working yet. must be missing something
pcb looks good
have documentation, just need a little help on the basics
If I can get the usb to communicate things might inprove a lot.
thanks
ps let me know if you or anyone had some success getting it working. ya, I can fix the pcbs if need'd
October 25, 2013 09:42AM
Do you still have the windows driver for that pcb, I could use it to get mine working
thanks
November 02, 2013 01:49PM
I think it is the XR21V1410 chip.

attached is all the info i could find.

manual is too large to attach link is here: [www.soc-robotics.com]
Attachments:
open | download - XR21x141x-XP2KVista7-DriversOnly-Vers1.8.0.0 (1).zip (102 KB)
open | download - GenX_Eagle_Open_V1.0.zip (126 KB)
open | download - GenX Technical Brief.pdf (432 KB)
open | download - GRBL4GenX_AVRS6.zip (323.7 KB)
open | download - GenX_GStep.hex (300.5 KB)
November 05, 2013 02:06PM
ya, I got one 2
Got it working, well the motors turn etc
manual mode
But I needed to rework the pcb, etc
there web site has a lot of files there, great for that
As shipped the emergency stop external switch has old software so it doesn't work but all others do.
Can help if you like
November 07, 2013 08:08PM
thanks, but after dealing with several formats for reprap, this was sent back to seller. It was not at the time ready for some one to use.

I had 40+ hours invested in it

. purchased another style of board called ramps set online and was up and running it within 20minutes.

granted the designers have met some of my requests for the GenX 3d board. 1 board documentation, an online wiki in reprap forum, but still use a different serial comm chip.... this will cause many users issues, especially if the chip is not working and/or the software driver is not known to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 08:09PM by jamesdanielv.
November 09, 2013 09:00PM
To bad mine is working on the table, like parts every were but works NOW !
December 14, 2013 04:02PM
Well I forced it to work ! Oh a very large hammer
But it works now x,y,z,e
I need aspirin now
December 18, 2013 04:41PM
I teckum,

I received mine, but i have no apirin.
I need help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login