Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wooden filament similar to PLA

Posted by Enlightx 
wooden filament similar to PLA
September 21, 2012 09:22AM
Re: wooden filament similar to PLA
September 21, 2012 09:31AM
I wonder if this is similar to the stuff used to make Trex?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
September 21, 2012 09:36AM
i have seen wooden esk pallets delivered here before thay look as if they are plastic injection moulded i guess its the same stuff. Interesting stuff though.

i love how if you print it hotter you get a darker wood smiling bouncing smiley
September 21, 2012 11:12AM
I ordered some yesterday and it's apparently shipping now - I'll happily give a report once I get to play with it.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
VDX
September 21, 2012 11:29AM
... this seems to be thermoplastic Lignin-material from Tecnaro, I've mentioned some time ago - I'm using powderd Lignin from them for Laser-Sintering, but they normally sell pellets for injection moulding: [tecnaro.de]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 21, 2012 01:11PM
Hey Viktor you seem to have a million projects going on at the same time smiling smiley Arbofill and Arboblend look really interesting. Did you order your pellets directly from Tecnaro? Do you think they could be extruded into filament?? This is something I would really like to pursue!

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
September 21, 2012 04:50PM
Would it not just be PVA mixed with really fine wood fibres (dust). This would be like wood glue and wood fibres that make up MDF.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
VDX
September 21, 2012 04:55PM
... I've got some kg of Lignin-powder from them, not the pellets - and yes, they can be extruded to filament ... but I think, the GRRF-filament could be blended with some additives to optimise the hardness and elasticity for FDM use ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 06, 2012 07:17AM
Hi Gary

Did you get some of this filament? How did it work out?

Marcos
VDX
December 06, 2012 07:38AM
... i have two short pieces of the GRRF-filamet in 3mm and 1.75mm - it's dark brown in colour and 'rough' in the surface finish.

Didn't try to melt it, but it's definitelly a blend with some thermoplastic and wood-dust, while Tecnaro seems to be using pure lignin-powder.

But I think, for Arboblend and Arbofill they're mixing their base-stuff with some additives and pigments too ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login