Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Additive lathe

Posted by Sublime 
Additive lathe
September 03, 2012 08:29PM
I had an idea a year ago about making a additive lathe for printing plastic lead screws. At the time I made a very quick drawing to show people what I was on about.

Then today I decided to Google to see if anyone had actually built anything like it and was pleased to find one fully built and what appears to be functional additive lathe. I do not think it was in anyway inspired by my drawing and he may have actually had the idea before me (maybe even built it before I had the idea). But I do think it would be a great addition to the already diverse world of Rapid prototyping.
Additive lathe

Now we just need to get this person to release the files (especially the chuck).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver

Re: Additive lathe
September 03, 2012 09:34PM
I'm intrigued by the concept, but I do wonder if it'd be easier to improve print quality and print them on a normal reprap vs printing them on this. If someone were perusing this, I wonder if you could make the inner core into 5 parts:

Cut the core into three slices, so that there are two almost-semicircle pieces, and a rectangle with rounded sides.

Cut this into three, so that when you have printed, you can remove the middle (only metal/metal friction), then you can remove the pieces one by one.

Not very well worded I know, but otherwise I can see it being very very tricky to remove the core after printing.
September 03, 2012 09:35PM
Thats awesome!
The concept is easy enough...

That chuck is impressive!
(will be added to my to-do list.... uhg!)

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
September 04, 2012 02:35AM
It has been on my to-do list for years. Rather than have a removable core I would print the centre in the conventional way and then mount it on the lathe and add to it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
September 04, 2012 02:51AM
... years ago we had some talk about a 'lathe-LOM' methode, where a thin sheet of plastic will be rolled and fused on a cylinder and a lasercutter or Dremel will cut/drill holes in a line, that will represent the borders/outline of the embedded objects.

Another methode comparable to SLS or DLM could work with a laserspot heating/melting a small area on the surface of the cylinder (or already fabbed part) and dust, blown in the hot spot will melt/fuse to a blob ... with continuous drawing blobs or joint segments/lines you can additive build complex shapes, in concurence to normal abrasive latheing ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 04, 2012 03:44PM
I've also doodled a few designs like this, in particular for printing threads.

One thing that would have to be done is to manage the print surface velocity to the extruder by varying the angular velocity with the distance from the core.

-Rob A>
May 27, 2013 01:08AM
Is anybody interested in revisiting the additive lathe project?
VDX
May 27, 2013 01:51AM
>Is anybody interested in revisiting the additive lathe project?

... yes, maybe later this year - but have to finish first two projects around laserdiode-head and UV-printing.

The laser-head is essential for my type of 'additive lathe' winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

May 27, 2013 02:29AM
My thoughts on building an additive lathe started when I decided to replicate one of Viktor Schauberger designs with water.
I was thinking about the price of machining and realized 3D printing is a better idea than turning things on a lathe.

Would this work as a base?
[www.ebay.com]

I want to design such device so the turntable will slide on an axis and an extruder will slide over an axis above the table. Two axes are to be aligned in the same direction. This will allow the extruder to make precise off centered circular parts.

Making it so X and Y axes can print a design over a stationary turntable will give us a multifunctional CNC 3D printer machine.

Are heated tables necessary for ABS 3D printing? How to make a spinning heated table? Induction heating?

I have no idea about how to program Arduino. I feel like this will be the most complex part.

Is there a point in designing a UV printing lathe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 02:32AM by Tarakan.
VDX
May 27, 2013 03:13AM
... the part in the link should be a good start - you'll only need two additional axes (X+Z) for the extruder head winking smiley

A chamber around the machine (eventually heated with hot air) is the simplest 'ambient temp control'.

For the UV - instead of an FDM extruder you can use a paste dispenser, outputting an UV-curable glue or resin and UV-LED's at the tip, instantly curing the resin to solid - look here for a possible design with UV-LED's: [reprap.org]

Viktor
--------

May 27, 2013 10:23AM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... the part in the link should be a good start -
> you'll only need two additional axes (X+Z) for the
> extruder head winking smiley

True. Moving things on the rotating base may allow us to build perfect round objects anywhere in our design. It will be hard to make such system compact and balanced.

Who will program the brains so they will chose between additive milling and additive spinning for higher accuracy?
>
> A chamber around the machine (eventually heated
> with hot air) is the simplest 'ambient temp
> control'.

Possibly. Are there any ready-made parts for this purpose?

>
> For the UV - instead of an FDM extruder you can
> use a paste dispenser, outputting an UV-curable
> glue or resin and UV-LED's at the tip, instantly
> curing the resin to solid - look here for a
> possible design with UV-LED's:
> [reprap.org]

Can air be used to force the UV resin out instead of a disposable syringe?
VDX
May 27, 2013 10:38AM
Tarakan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VDX Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ... the part in the link should be a good start
> -
> > you'll only need two additional axes (X+Z) for
> the
> > extruder head winking smiley
>
> True. Moving things on the rotating base may allow
> us to build perfect round objects anywhere in our
> design. It will be hard to make such system
> compact and balanced.

... you aren't limited to 'round' traces - look for turnmill - with controlling the turntable as Y-axis (common named as 'B'-axe when turning) and X+Z-moving the extruder/dispenser you can draw really complex contours above the disk ;-)

> Who will program the brains so they will chose
> between additive milling and additive spinning for
> higher accuracy?

... again, google for 'turnmill' strategies - there should be some CAM programs capable of the controlling for this ...

> > A chamber around the machine (eventually heated
> > with hot air) is the simplest 'ambient temp
> > control'.
>
> Possibly. Are there any ready-made parts for this
> purpose?

... the simplest setup would be a box around and a hot-air gun as heater ...

> > For the UV - instead of an FDM extruder you can
> > use a paste dispenser, outputting an UV-curable
> > glue or resin and UV-LED's at the tip,
> instantly
> > curing the resin to solid - look here for a
> > possible design with UV-LED's:
> > [reprap.org]
>
> Can air be used to force the UV resin out instead
> of a disposable syringe?

... yes, but motor driven dispensers are much more accurate in volume per time or travelling path ...

Viktor
--------

May 27, 2013 11:51AM
I just thought that using a stepper motor - timing belt - turntable configuration is a bad idea.
Because hot plastic will create drag, the table will oscillate as it vibrates, causing uneven hot plastic distribution.

I would prefer to use two gears - one for the motor and a really large one for the table. It this a good idea?
VDX
May 28, 2013 01:57AM
... depending on type (size, spacing, steel-inlays) timing belts can be better suited than gears - they reduce mechanical play, what's mostly an issue with gears ...

Viktor
--------

June 04, 2013 09:54AM
Hi everyone

We are a group of four Mechanical Engineering students and have just finished assembling our additive lathe/cylindrical 3D printer. To our knowledge, this is the second one designed yet, after Yaov Stermann's one. We are currently finalising our report, I will upload some pictures and videos soon for those that are interested. It was based on a RepRap Mendel printer and works well.

Matt
VDX
June 04, 2013 10:05AM
... maybe time to reactivate the DIY-mini-lathe for CNC-'turnmilling', -printing and -laser-fusing again winking smiley

[forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login