New Matter is shutting down
February 18, 2018 04:16PM
Re: New Matter is shutting down
February 18, 2018 05:07PM
Its just a name change

new matter -> It doesnt matter!!!
February 18, 2018 07:37PM
I helped develop the initial New Matter MOD-t prototype. I can't say I'm a big fan of the direction they took the printer, but it did come pretty close to being a completely hands-off printer for a reasonable price. It did fill a niche in schools and the like, where people wanted a very basic 3d printer without having to know any of the details of 3D printing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that market is big enough to support even a modest-sized company like New Matter.

BTW, here is a link to my original prototype X-Y mechanism: youtube video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 07:42PM by LoboCNC.
February 19, 2018 09:48AM
Ah these guys.

This is what happens when you try to control the whole software ecosystem.
Proprietary slicers have been rejected by consumers, as well as appears the proprietary cloud for objects.

The machine did get a lot of kudos for the platform and drive system LoboCNC, so kudos to you.

These days I am thinking expertise is what people will pay for, maybe.
Or simply REALLY expensive stuff. o shiny !
February 19, 2018 12:54PM
While New Matter wants (wanted) to control the whole software ecosystem for most users, it is actually possible to use any slicer with the MOD-t. Profiles have been posted for Cura, Slic3r, Simplify 3d, etc, and you can use a low-level utility function to send the raw g-code to the machine. Unfortunately, there's no decent machine control panel, and it's pretty clear that the ability to use 3rd party slicers was a bit of an afterthought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login