Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Mini Hotend!

Posted by shai 
New Mini Hotend!
March 20, 2016 12:38AM
Thought I'd share something we've been working on for the past several months smiling smiley
It's now available for pre-order on our site: Deltaprintr.com

See photos below:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 12:38AM by shai.
Re: New Mini Hotend!
March 20, 2016 12:58AM
That looks amazing! I like the mounting method. Groove mounts suck.

Also the lack of a large heater block alleviates the problems associated with radiant heat from the block affecting the print.

One question though, where is the thermistor attached?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 12:59AM by nebbian.
March 20, 2016 12:59AM
It's inside the nozzle for more accurate reading temperature. You can add a second thermistor if you'd like even and it's held in place under a fiberglass sleeving. The wires are zip-tied to the heatsink. Updated pics to come soon on the site.
March 20, 2016 01:53AM
Is there a video of it in use?
March 20, 2016 01:54AM
Yes, on our Instagram page: instagram.com/deltaprintr
March 20, 2016 03:31AM
Ah ok, crazy delta shake test! Love the ring light, and the hotend, you've been through quite a few revisions,
I presume the ripples in the prints are more from the delta speed than the hotend.
How long does the fan last? I spotted a tiny ducted one the other day but didnt catch the name of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 08:20AM by MechaBits.
March 21, 2016 09:37PM
I'll bite!
ordered one just now

Does it come with info to put into marlin? Hoping to get at least sensor specs if not a starting PID values.
If a 24v version is available I'd like that instead. If not I might get crazy and try a lessened max PWM, see if I don't need to order a replacement.

Thanks for pushing the printing world along for us!!
March 21, 2016 09:41PM
Thanks! We should have them shipped hopefully within a few weeks. Still waiting on getting the thermistor and heaters crimped. Everything else is already in production.

Setup is up to you to figure out. We use it on smoothie ware. I'll see if we can add some guides maybe, but no promises because there are a lot of firmwares out there. Thermistor # is already on the product page. 24V is not available yet. We will work on making one available after we ship these out first. One thing at a time smiling smiley

And not a problem! Someone had to get rid of the groove mount smiling smiley
March 22, 2016 12:57AM
Any plans for an all metal version yet?
March 22, 2016 12:59AM
We're working on several ideas for all metal version, but it still needs some testing. The next version (or maybe as a separate model) will have the bowden push-fit integrated directly into the heat-sink rather than screw in from the top. Lots of ideas, not enough time smiling smiley
March 22, 2016 06:10AM
whats the spacing of the 3mm holes? top or side?
March 22, 2016 05:41PM
@MechaBits

The spacing is shown in one of the pictures on our product page. I'll upload more dimension drawings by end of this week... maybe even today if I have time. It's 16mm apart.
March 22, 2016 07:16PM
Are the mount holes compatible with the holes on the aluminum Kossel effectors?

If so I want one in 24V.

I don't think you left enough room for DC42's IR sensor ;-)
March 23, 2016 02:42AM
WZ9V
Are the mount holes compatible with the holes on the aluminum Kossel effectors?

If so I want one in 24V.

I don't think you left enough room for DC42's IR sensor ;-)

I have plans for a new sensor to go with this hot end, but I am waiting for the 24V version too before I buy one.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 23, 2016 02:45AM
We can't guarantee it will be compatible with any sort of mounting system because we didn't work around any sort of mounting system. We designed our own. That doesn't mean that you can't print out your own custom designed mount smiling smiley

Groove mounts are old fashion and they don't work well.

24V will be in the works after we ship the 12V first. Sign up on our homepage at the bottom to be notified once they become available: deltaprintr.com
March 23, 2016 08:44AM
This hot end with DC42's sensor and Multley3d's Flex3Drive looks like it would an interesting combination.
March 23, 2016 12:02PM
shai
We can't guarantee it will be compatible with any sort of mounting system because we didn't work around any sort of mounting system. We designed our own. That doesn't mean that you can't print out your own custom designed mount smiling smiley

Groove mounts are old fashion and they don't work well.

24V will be in the works after we ship the 12V first. Sign up on our homepage at the bottom to be notified once they become available: deltaprintr.com

Have you thought about adapting the single fan hot-end/print cooler duct here: Thingiverse link to your hot end? If so you could get away with not machining/tapping the fan threads in the aluminium extrusion (since the fan duct just clips in place).

Also if you do that you could also probably just use two screws to mount the fan and save a bit of weight there as well.
March 23, 2016 01:17PM

Have you thought about adapting the single fan hot-end/print cooler duct

That design makes no sense to me - you need independent control of the hotend and print cooling.
March 23, 2016 02:53PM
JamesK

That design makes no sense to me - you need independent control of the hotend and print cooling.

Some of the derivatives include manual or motor control valves, but the general design is the same.
March 24, 2016 10:14AM
Is this a 3mm or a 1.75mm hotend? I couldn't find this information anywhere.
March 24, 2016 11:57AM
restinpieces
Is this a 3mm or a 1.75mm hotend? I couldn't find this information anywhere.

It is a 1.75mm hotend (information taken from here)
March 24, 2016 12:40PM
JamesK

Whilst independent control of layer fan and hot end fan is optimal, I'm running a dual purpose fan like this on two printers and its quite effective. No point to it if you haven't a major need to restrict print head mass but if you do it really helps. I find that it doesn't affect first layer adhesion having the fan on, it doesn't provide a lot of cooling, so I set slicer to seriously slow down for small layers or print a sacrificial tower.

I've done one with a shutter over the cooling duct so you can switch off the airflow when printing abs. [www.thingiverse.com]

Maybe a design like this with a larger duct and a tiny servo or something to open and close the duct might satisfy both requirements.
March 24, 2016 12:49PM
So what do you do, PWM the fan so that you can control print temperature for small areas and risk heat creep in the cold end for large areas, or leave the fan running full speed to maintain the cold end and leave the print temperature unmanaged? Either options seems like a bad compromise to me.
March 24, 2016 12:52PM
The second one but it really doesn't cause as much trouble as you presume it would. Its a compromise sure but not as bad as all that. I printed this Marvin with this setup on a Kossel Mini.

March 24, 2016 01:17PM
Fair enough, sometimes a pragmatic solution is what's needed. I'm just a bit aghast at giving up one of the major controls over the print process. I rely pretty heavily on my fans.
March 24, 2016 02:01PM
I suppose I'm the opposite, I see print heads festooned with elaborate fans and wonder why go to all the bother? I always presumed they were just trick bits to make your printer look flash. Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in between. Any ideas how to make a motorised shutter for that fan, which would run off the fan pwm output so 0 is closed and 255 fully open or something along those lines?
March 24, 2016 02:03PM
I think you guys are over complicating things a bit smiling smiley
It is much easier to just use 2 fans without adding some motor to act as a shutter, which adds weight and cost and requires more programming.
On top of that, a single fan should not be cooling the hotend and the print. It reduces the airflow to the hotend, which is essential for consistent cooling. Otherwise it will jam.
March 24, 2016 02:11PM
I'm sorry to say that's dogmatic, an e3d can be adequately cooled with a 30mm fan so using a 40mm fan and diverting around 15-20% of the airflow, which is ducted towards the nozzle tip, is perfectly reasonable. I know it works, I've got two of them running no jams so far.

Is there only one right way of doing something? If so new stuff isn't going to be developed very quickly.

The reason for doing this is to reduce print head (effector in this case) mass, and complexity which it does nicely. I am only joking about a motorised shutter.

In any case I don't want to hijack the thread, the mini hot end looks awesome can't wait to try one.
March 24, 2016 02:14PM
any chance of ideas or pictures hows this is mounted, how deep is the thread on the push fit connect could that be unscrewed then something in between to mount it im intrested in the hotend for the mini kossel im building which is going to end up with the flex3drive but wondering how i would attach it cheers

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
March 24, 2016 02:14PM
I apologize, I presumed you were talking about the mini-hotend, not an e3d. I can't say anything about that since I haven't used one. If it works, then go for it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login