Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Servo printing Help

Posted by Smedek 
Servo printing Help
October 05, 2014 12:09PM
Hello everyone !!

I have an idea that I am pretty sure will work, but I need help! What I want to do is make a 3d printer out of cheap 3 wire rc servos instead of stepper motors. I can use an Arduino servo shield or just use the output pins on the arduino... Does anyone know if this is possible? Or if it is how do I go about starting this?? Maybe some links to other projects simmiliar might help

Please help!!
Re: Servo printing Help
October 05, 2014 01:08PM
It should work, seriously limited in resolution though. I'm not sure it is worth the effort at all.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
October 05, 2014 01:23PM
How do I go about doing this, I just need it to print low quality prints
October 05, 2014 01:40PM
I'm not aware of any such project. It is not very interesting due to the limited output quality and the lot of work that has to be put into modifying existing firmwares.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
October 05, 2014 01:57PM
I think it should be very interesting because it means that you would not need stepper drivers or a ramps board and servos are cheaper
VDX
October 05, 2014 02:37PM
... cheap rc-servos with the internal trimpots aren't accurate enough for this ... you can replace the 1-turn trimpot with a more precise 10x type, but then too the PWM driving won't give enough resolution/precision for more than some centimeters linear placement.

Most servo systems capable of 3D-printing are made with bigger/stronger DC motors and optical or magnetic encoders.

I've modified a CNC-mill, equipped with DC-servos, by replacing the drivers with special types, that are controlled as normal steppers with DIR+STEP, but read an quadrature-encoder to position the servos. The machine has 16x5mm spindles, a positional resolution/accuracy of 0.0025mm and max. speeds of 150mm/s ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login