Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

problems making a ring gear

Posted by Komb' 
problems making a ring gear
June 28, 2012 11:43AM
I need to make a ring with gear teeth in the inside curve.

Currently I'm using www.thingiverse.com/thing:5505 and removed the gear from the disk, leaving a toothed inside curve.

However, when using a smaller gear, same teeth, it binds.

My first thought, was to make a single tooth and populate the inside of the ring with them.

I would like to know if there is a better way before I get too far.

Thanks,
Re: problems making a ring gear
June 28, 2012 12:42PM
We had a discussion about this on the openscad mailing list some time ago. My concluding remark was

So I made an animation of an internal gear meshing with a spur gear (clearance set to 0) and it looks to have a perfectly correct tooth shape.

I have come to think of it like this: Consider the small spur gear that goes inside and place an imaginary gear the same size next to it so it meshes. Make a larger spur gear that meshes perfectly with the imaginary gear. The inside contour of that large gear must then mesh with the first gear. I have attached a picture. The red gear meshes with the green imaginary gear so the inverse of it mashes with the blue gear.

To get clearance between the roots of the teeth you need to set the clearance of large internal gear to 0, as it works the wrong way. To get clearance between the tips is seems better to reduce the addendum of the small gear rather than increasing it on the large gear as jag has done.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - mesh.png (12.9 KB)
June 28, 2012 12:46PM
Are you sure the teeth are the same?
You might have to change the clearance between the teeth a bit.
June 28, 2012 01:25PM
@ nophead,

I wish I knew what to do to impliment what you just said.

@ criswilson10

Here's the code I'm using:

difference(){gear(mm_per_tooth,20,thickness);
gear(mm_per_tooth/1.75,20,thickness*2);}

gear(mm_per_tooth/1.75,13,thickness);

Imediatly after commenting out the demo gears.
June 28, 2012 04:41PM
The gear library I was using had parameters to change the tip clearance and the addendum. I think it is in MCAD. I will see if I can find the code tomorrow.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login