Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Note re: the Developers forum (and the mailing lists)

Posted by Phil Bordelon 
Note re: the Developers forum (and the mailing lists)
February 22, 2007 10:01PM
Hey there.

I've noticed that something strange is done to Forrest Higgs' eMails when they are translated into the developers' forum; they don't seem to have any message body.

I've also subscribed to the two public mailing lists that I found (Users@ and Contributors@). A moment of thought brought me to the page for the developers' mailing list, but the archives are only for the subscribers. Is there any chance that they could be opened for reading by the public as well? And are the Users@ and Contributors@ mailing lists intended to be supplanted by these fora?

I'm very, very stoked about RepRap (I stayed up way too late last night reading about it and watching the LCA video). Interesting work, everyone!
sai
Re: Note re: the Developers forum (and the mailing lists)
February 23, 2007 03:21AM
Yes, we noticed Forrest's peculiar email problems too. It's something to do with the weird stuff Yahoo email is doing. It's probably fixable by changing formatting options on Yahoo, but I doubt Forrest will want to do that, so we'll have to find a solution on this end -- sometime.

The developer's list is mirrored to the developer's forum here, so in general you can read everything here (barring Forrest's messages). There are around five thousand older messages that we will also load into the archive once they're cleaned up. It's going to take a little manual work before that happens though, and nobody has put theirs hands up yet.

I'll look into opening up the direct mailing list archive too.
February 23, 2007 04:45PM
I have no great affection for Yahoo formatting options that are currently in use in my yahoo account. Let me know what formatting options I must use to stop the trouble and I'll most likely shift over.
February 24, 2007 01:26PM
Hi Forrest,

I'm not sure - and maybe you know, or have tried, this already - but the following *might* work:
(i) When logged in to Yahoo Mail, select 'Options' up the top right
(ii) Scroll down and - in the 'Management' column - select 'General Preferences'
(iii) Scroll down to the 'Composing E-mails' section, and - if it's not already the current mode - change 'Mode' to 'Compose messages as plain text'
(iv) Scroll down and click 'Save'

Hope that helps
February 25, 2007 09:12AM
I'll try to remember to swap over to plain text whenever I respond to messages that go into this forum. I'd got rather used to using rich text, sadly. :-(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login