Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheapest RepRap?

Posted by solomondg 
Cheapest RepRap?
October 04, 2013 05:39PM
So, I'd like to get a 3D printer, preferably a RepRap. I'd like to know which RepRap is the cheapest to assemble (independently sourcing the parts-not a kit). If the wiki page is correct (and if I read it correctly), then the Prusa Mendel i3 only costs $137.50 plus the cost of the printed parts. This doesn't seem very realistic, and I was wondering if anyone who has built one can give input on the average build price (not including the price of the 3D printed parts. If anyone had an up-to-date list of RepRap average build prices, that'd be great.
Re: Cheapest RepRap?
October 04, 2013 08:58PM
I don't know but I can tell you one thing for the motors,electronics,heated bed, and hotend
It is going to be more than $175 at the cheapest on any 3d printer period.

I hope this helps.

-Sage
October 04, 2013 11:16PM
Count on spending about US$500 or so though if you're creative about sourcing you could get it done for less. Build costs vary subject to location and the skill and/or willingness of someone to be able to do some of the work.
October 05, 2013 04:45AM
i think that with just ordering everything from ebay, and printing the parts my self, you could probably build a prusa 2 in europe now for around 300€
i just don't know if that's the way to go.
like it is probably better to spend a little more and use stainless steal bars, a better more expencive extruder, a heated platform and so on.

cheap isn't always the best way to go, but if that's all you can spend, then go for it!
October 05, 2013 04:57AM
I agree, cheap will make you spend more to upgrade later on.
October 05, 2013 05:13AM
I guess the really cheapest one is still the WolfStrap. Not a RepRap by definition, but works.

Regarding cheap, the others are right. Especially, don't save on the extruder/hotend and if you choose (linear) ball bearings, make sure to choose hardened rods, too. The other parts are less critical.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login