Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power supply only reads 11.54 V

Posted by fredted1234 
Power supply only reads 11.54 V
June 09, 2012 04:27AM
I have wired up my Atx pc power supply the way it tells in the WIKI,,,, by puting a switch between the green and black wire, and by connecting the orange wire in pin 11 of the connector to +3.3V which is also orange. But when i put a meter on the yellow and black it only reads 11.54V? Is this ok??? should it not read 12V?
I connected 2 yellow and 2 blacks..
and 4 yellow and 4 blacks togeter for the 5A and 11A inputs.

Another thing i noticed was that the fan on the power supply stays on after it is plugged out? this must be fed off the capacitors in the power supply? is this normal?

Thanks
Re: Power supply only reads 11.54 V
June 09, 2012 04:31AM
You need a load on the 5V rail for the power supply to regular normally. It may work without it but the voltages will drop as the load on the 12V rail increases. A 5ohm power resistor will do the job.
June 09, 2012 08:51AM
ok cheers got 12V after attaching a light bulb which will soon be replaced by a resistor.
Have know pluged in the printer to the power supply, and turned it on the light on the arduino comes on, and the light on the ramps flashes when trying to connect with pronterface.
However pronterface says it cannot connect to the printer?
I was thinking that maybe the firmware did not go onto the arduino... or maybe the endstops are not connected correctly... I put the edstops on -x,-y,-z on the board..

I have tryed restarting the board and program and turning it off and on again.
everytime i press connect on pronterface the red light flashes on the ramps.
I did not go near the @115200 after the COM 3 in the pronterface software and dont know what that means?
June 09, 2012 08:57AM
Connecting...
¡n|YˆNP|H>Ð^èŠ@V³M³w÷è%Ip|À6CmJoV÷æ“N†O]¡v±kNm.hño~FNN^Á?>Hxé^HfNNa¤-HH7fÌosaÌHw/BO6J=aj¡n‡þConnecting...
ánP|yÈNPNN^Á?>?hxé^HfCNV!¤-HHw&4Ì_a¬HoO6J}!JáNVÇþConnecting...
Reset.
Connecting...
¡ù¦õConnecting...
Can't read from printer (disconnected?).
June 09, 2012 09:01AM
You're using the wrong baud rate. Default for marlin is 250000.
June 09, 2012 10:58AM
Andrews correct. Wrong baud rate. Go into your arduino sketch and see what it is set for then change it on pronterface.
June 09, 2012 11:20AM
Yes thanks I changed it to 250000 and the printer connected fine! Delighted!
I then tried to move the motors and they worked fine except the extruder motor.. An error kept coming up I think it was because the heater was not plugged in!
Thanks again
June 09, 2012 11:22AM
By default marlin will not let you extrude unless the Hotend is above some minimum temperature.
You can disable the feature in the confit file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login