Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite Host software?

Posted by cobrageek 
Favorite Host software?
April 04, 2013 12:27PM
I see a trend for Repetier and it does look good, but I don't think I'll use the repetier firmware (probably marlin) so I don't know how well it works with other firmware. I've also heard Cura has a good host and has a complex but good slicer included. The standard seems to be pronterface for a host so more people would know and be able to help with issues. I'm guessing there are more.

What's your favorite host and why?
Re: Favorite Host software?
April 04, 2013 02:55PM
Previously I used Pronterface, but I've moved entirely to OctoPrint for both my printers, one hosted on a Raspberry Pi and the other on a generic "MK802" A10 based stick.

Having a web-based GUI lets me upload and set up my prints from my desktop across the room while using a tablet that I can set next to the printer to jog the axes for bed leveling, priming, and ultimately starting the print. Once the print is going, I can use the tablet or my smartphone from another room to monitor the print status and check the integrated webcam viewer to watch for problems. And of course, since the host is running on a separate embedded computer, I'm free to reboot my PC or turn it off altogether.
April 04, 2013 03:29PM
Print from SD. Printing from a host program is only asking for communication errors.

Also Repitier works fine with all firmwares. Just be sure not to use its special protocol with firmware other than Repitier.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 04, 2013 04:50PM
Subline
Printing from a host program is only asking for communication errors.

What communication errors should that be?
I have been printing for 2 and a half years and have yet to have a single communication error!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 04, 2013 05:06PM
I think he means the Dreaded Communications Buffer Underrun. This is what Repetier's binary protocol is supposed to help with, and what printing from SD works around.
April 04, 2013 06:42PM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Printing from a host program is only asking for
> communication errors.
>
>
> What communication errors should that be?
> I have been printing for 2 and a half years and
> have yet to have a single communication error!

Well there are those long pauses from Pronterface trying to update the display, there are the ones from the buffer being emptied, there are the ones from things like standby mode or the cable being unplugged by a pet or child. I have had bad FTDI usb chips that would not work in any mode other than Xon/Xoff. There are so many reasons to avoid it and none to avoid SD. Plus you waste a lot of power having a computer running when it is not required as the firmware is completely capable of reading lines of text from an SD card and only consumes a small amount of current.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
April 05, 2013 12:29PM
I have the SD card thing for the sanguinololu and assumed to print from SD. But there is till whatever "Host" SW that you need for getting things started and calibrated before you unplug. That's the host SW I was talking about. Do people prefer the standard pronterface or the newer repetier? The "Octoprint" sounds really interesting. I like the webcam option. Thanks!
April 05, 2013 01:37PM
I use pronterface to calibrate if needed because it needs less resources. Repitier has a beautiful path renderer but takes a lot of computer resources which you may not have.

April 05, 2013 04:07PM
I generally use Repetier Host, I like the gcode path renderer since I actually occasionally do see issues with it before I start the print.
When printing though I just watch the big temperature graph.

What I'd like to know is why all the host software I've used tries to accumulate position distinctly from the firmware rather than just sending an M114 and actually getting the actual position. Every single host software I've used has issues with accumulated positional error while jogging and an incorrect response to G92 with none 0 values.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login