Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing organic materials

Posted by ravenw 
Printing organic materials
December 04, 2012 05:31PM
Hello I am a complete beginner, and was wondering if it is possible to experiment with different materials when 3D printing,

I was looking at a very basic model such as the rewrap prusa, I have seen for example chocolate icing being printed at a design exhibition, and wanted to now how easy / possible it is to change material in the "test tube style" cylinders that hold the material, again i am sorry for my naivety just interested and have a passion for design,

Thanks Raven
Re: Printing organic materials
December 04, 2012 06:25PM
It really depends on the material being printed and the design of your extruder. There are a lot of variables, and people come up with new techniques all the time.

If your passion is paste extrusion, play around with it. Maybe you'll discover a novel technique.
December 04, 2012 06:35PM
Thanks for your response Twitchy, I guess i would like to play around with paste extrusion, but wasn't sure if the rep rap prusa kit would allow that it seems to work with the filament ( wire based ) material ? - can you adapt this sorry i'm pretty thick confused smiley
December 05, 2012 08:04AM
Yes, you can switch the plastic filament extruder to a paste extruder if you want.

Here's a syringe-based design: Universal Paste Extruder (richrap's design)

And here's a pump-based Chocolate Extruder (my design)
December 05, 2012 12:27PM
Thanks so much ttsalo, thats exactly what i was looking at, your chocolate extruder is really nice, I saw one in use by some chefs at this years milan furniture festival the exhibition was by domus and was called future in the making worth a look lots of interesting digital fabrication projects.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login