Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melted power terminal

Posted by IanJohnson 
Melted power terminal
October 07, 2012 01:50AM
I lost power to my Sanguinololu. I thought the cable might have a break or something, and when I took it out I found that the block had melted-

Is there something I could have done to cause this? In addition to the motors, it runs a heated bed, LEDs, an electronics fan, extruder fan, and gcode controlled nozzle fan (using Nophead's hack with the logic level MOSFET)..
Re: Melted power terminal
October 07, 2012 04:09AM
Looks like a bad connection between your power wire and the power connector. A bad connection will mean that there is high resistance and hence heat will be generated
October 07, 2012 04:12AM
probably a bad contact. if possible i would replace that contact, go to a radio shack to find the terminal, probably best next time you tin the wires. (solder the end of wire making it tinned to make it resistant to the elements.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2012 06:32AM by jamesdanielv.
October 07, 2012 09:41AM
Soldering the ends of the wires is not a good idea for the screw terminals. You want to make as much contact as possible and soldering reduces that. It's best to keep the ends bare.

Also, I think that the terminals for the Sanguinololu is inadequate for a heat bed. The solution was posted by nophead in this thread: [forums.reprap.org].
October 08, 2012 11:12AM
the point of failure here was a contact connection,not the MOSFET. probably copper wire, that when it was heated oxidized,and formed a resistor. if you don't want to tin the wires, then use tin wire at the proper gauge.
October 08, 2012 12:28PM
Hmm... what's that screw terminal rated for? Looks to me like a 0.1" spaced Phoenix Contact rt-angle PCB mount screw terminal...rated for about 6A. It might *take 10A for a little while, but afaik, those aren't rated for the current you're drawing at steady state, not even commenting about the surge during MK1 heatup.
October 08, 2012 12:58PM
I had been thinking of switching it out with an Azteeg X1, so this was a push to actually do that.
October 08, 2012 01:29PM
@Ian You're good with the X1, The connector I use on it is rated for 18Amps per pin. @digikey

But like others have mentioned, keep a good contact with the wire, tug it from time to time to check if it has loosened.

Thanks.
October 08, 2012 10:09PM
I've had no problems with the Azteeg X1. Even the Mosfets stay cool to the touch with the heatsinks installed. It even comes with fan control.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login