Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Warping issues with Nylon

Posted by galaxyman7 
Warping issues with Nylon
July 23, 2012 07:44PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips for reducing warping. I am printing with weed trimmer line, and the stuff really likes to warp alot. So much that it actually peels the blue tape off of my bed. Therefore the brim will only help it stick to the tape. I am printing the stuff with my Printrbot at 230 C on a 100 C bed.

I have seen the posts on using perf board to hold parts down, and I wonder how deformed the bottom surface looks. If anyone has some pictures that would be great. Maybe I could use a raft, but that is a huge pain.

Another option I have is to create a heated chamber, which I could bring up to around 150 C so that the parts don't warp. This is not preferred since it is complicated and would restrict access to the nozzle.

If anyone has any other ways of getting rid of warping, please post them here. Any and all ideas are welcome.

On another note, I would also like to extend the orifice length on my machine to reduce the ooze from the nozzle. I would either like to somehow create an extension to fit on my existing nozzle, or buy another nozzle with a longer orifice. I am not sure what size nozzle fits a printrbot, or what orifice length the existing nozzle has. If anyone has this information that would be great.
Re: Warping issues with Nylon
July 23, 2012 07:51PM
Just looked it up and the nozzle has 1/4-20 inner threads.
July 23, 2012 08:03PM
You are rafting? I hate rafting but sometime it is inevitable. Wonder how rafting and the perfboard or possibly mesh screen with larger than window screen sized holes so it will slightly belt into the holes to grab? What about Kapton tape?
July 23, 2012 08:12PM
I am not rafting currently, but if I want a smooth bottom on perfboard I might have to. The window screen idea is interesting. Maybe I will glue a piece of it to some sheet metal or glass and give that a go. Hopefully the bottom of the part wont be too deformed. As for the kapton tape, I fear it will still not be able to resist the force of warping, similar to the blue tape. The problem is not that it doesn't stick to the tape, its that the tape doesn't stick well enough to the bed.
July 23, 2012 09:30PM
Well, try the really fine screen and the larger sized hole one and see which is better. The problem is no matter what getting a perfectly flat bottom will be near impossible if it is warping. sad smiley
July 24, 2012 12:11AM
I used the mesh screen, and that works pretty well, except I can't get it to lay perfectly flat on the bed. I think i will make a custom bed that is nice and thick with a lot of small holes like perfboard. I have a cnc machine that can do the holes. Also, I might be able to somehow glue the mesh down. I will see.
July 24, 2012 12:24AM
Ehhh, I tried the mesh again and this time it unstuck from the mesh. I think I will have to make a heated chamber. It seems like 150 C should do the trick.
July 24, 2012 12:33AM
I still haven't figured out how to do a heated bed properly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login