Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruded Plastic Parts

Posted by plamari 
Extruded Plastic Parts
February 08, 2012 12:39AM
So forget extruded plastic printed parts - although if you consider a much larger nozzle and no x/y then i suppose it is printed.

If "you" can make filament of consistent size - "You" being someone with the skills and equipment - and Extruded Aluminium is made with a die ( like example from 1.50 onwards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnDUYZHDQAg), is there much to be said for "Extruded Plastic" parts?

e.g instead of printing T Slots, could you have a die and push the plastic through a 't slot' die (obviously not from filamet, but maybe less processed form like granules or maybe a larger rod/billet as similar in the above youtube clip).

Would the required volume of plastic extruded work in a similar way as say 0.5mm nozzles? or would strange flows occur out the easier/wider sections. I suspect if you know how to make filament you know that answer.

In my mind (and theres not much happening there) if you could get your environment consistent (in an 'oven' - not the kitchen sense), a home setup might be able to get consistent pieces in lengths for something the size need for the current extruded aluminium mendels. It would be likely be a different setup though, and maybe not much point for individual consumption.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login