Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

beginner

Posted by krishnanhemanth 
beginner
June 13, 2008 11:04AM
Hai
First let me congratulate the entire reprap team for coming out with such an amazing idea.Iam even more touched by the fact that this entire project is been given under GPL.It needs an bigger heart than mathematics and science.
After going through the site, i have descided to go ahead and build the machine.
though iam strong on the mechanichs, i need help on the electronics.
I have already installed the reprap host on my pc running winxp
my queries are
what other software needs to be installed to get started
for the audrino to communicate with my pc through rs232, what other things am i supposed to do
please help me on these issues
please help me build a reprap
thankyou in advance
Re: beginner
June 14, 2008 05:12AM
krishnanhemanth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for the audrino to communicate with my pc through
> rs232, what other things am i supposed to do

The Arduino Diecimila has a built-in USB-to-RS232 chip and "Type B" USB connector so you connect it to the PC with a USB cable. This can also supply power to the Arduino.

I would recommend getting an Arduino and playing with some of the example programs. There is a built-in LED connected to pin 13 so you can write a light-blinking program with no additional hardware.
June 14, 2008 07:09AM
Thank you for the tips you have posted.I shall arrange to get an arduino and start off.
thanks again
June 14, 2008 11:27PM
As for other software, if all you're wanting to do is print other peoples designs you just need the supporting software for the reprap host (see [reprap.org])
i.e.
* Java Development Kit (JDK)
* Java3D
* The j3d.org 3D utility library
* RXTX Serial Library

If you're wanting to design your own parts to be printed out you'll need a 3D CAD program that supports exporting files as .stl, Art of Illusion is the one favoured by the project (http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/AoI).

If you're wanting to get more involved with the development of the project you can install the various pieces of software needed but its probably easiest to download the LiveDVD 0.6 (or 0.7 which I hope to have out in the next couple of weeks) as the current instructions are for Linux only.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login