Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d noob with an OpenScad question

Posted by roygpa 
3d noob with an OpenScad question
November 01, 2011 10:02AM
HI, I am just getting started with 3D printing and in the early stages of building a Prusa Mendel. I have the frame together and my stepper motors just arrived yesterday. While I wait for my Sanguinololu board to arrive in the US from from the Netherlands, I thought I would spend time on installing and getting to "know" the software. I have installed Reprap Host, Replicator, Repsnapper, Skeinforge and Openscad on 2 windows 7 machines and they seem to work as best they can considering they cannot connect to a printer.

Here's my question: I read that a newer 10/19/2011 version of Openscad can export .csg files and that csgfiles can end up making better prints.
[blog.reprap.org]

does anyone have access to this newer version of OpenScad that I can install on my window 7 machines? I tired following the instructions in an OpenScad wiki that I think would have created what I am looking for, but I must have missed a step or two in the process. I guess I shouldn't have expected better, as I'm am a plastics engineer, not a computer programmer.

Thanks in Advance

Roy... near Pittsburgh, PA U.S.A.

P.S. Once I get my Prusa working, my long term goal is to get it to print polypropylene and figure out how to solve the warpage problems as I have access to about 600 million pounds of polypropylene and polypropylene compounds per year. I am thinking that using a high flow rate resin with some filler and maybe a higher end nucleating agent and then messing with cooling/warming of the print bed or the air surrounding it.
Re: 3d noob with an OpenScad question
November 02, 2011 12:25PM
OK so my question was either really, really stupid, I came across as a jerk or or nobody has access to the newer compiled version of Openscad. I hope it was the latter. smiling smiley didn't meant to sound like a jerk.

Am I right in assuming that somebody will compile it and offer it up on the internet sooner or later?

I am learning a lot here by reading other threads and the search function is very useful too.

Thanks

Roy
November 02, 2011 01:06PM
Or no one has compiled it yet for win7, or those who have haven't read the post yet. The forum is a little slow sometimes. Maybe try the IRC channel. And welcome to the wild world of reprap. Good luck on the Prusa build.
November 02, 2011 01:07PM
Thanks for the response Bryan or Aimee. Not sure which.

Roy
November 04, 2011 09:26AM
Or maybe it was right there on Openscad.org under "Download Development Snapshots."
Yep, that was it, and I just didn't see it. DOH!

Roy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login