Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ribbon cable/Motherboard - connection problems.

Posted by RepRapRaj83 
Ribbon cable/Motherboard - connection problems.
October 25, 2011 12:55PM
Hi,

I hope all are well.

Please could anyone give some input into correcting the following problem I'm having with either my ribbon cable or motherboard (maybe both - confused smiley)

I'm using Gen3 Electronics with Repsnapper and the FiveD firmware.

The connection between my Y axis stepper motor driver and motherboard seems to have a fault. I'm not sure if this is down to the Stepper Driver, Motherboard or Ribbon cable. So far my money is on the ribbon cable but here's a little more info.

If pushed in fully on the motherboard side, the stepper motor driver becomes unresponsive although the LED's around the stepper motor driver remain on. Commands are being sent through by Repsnapper without any delay and work for the X and Z axis. In addition to this the temperature reading goes to 0.

When the ribbon cable is pulled out slightly, by say 2-3mm, the temperature reading returns as does motion in the Y axis.

I am assuming this is down to a poor connection in the ribbon cable but if anyone else has had any similar problems, i'd be grateful for any input as I've been troubleshooting in the wrong area for some time now.

Thanks to all.

Raj
Re: Ribbon cable/Motherboard - connection problems.
October 25, 2011 01:05PM
Did you make your own cable? Pull out your multi meter and check for connectivity from connection point to connection point (board to reprap). If you use non-braided cable it may be cracked in the insulator.
October 25, 2011 01:42PM
I had a similar problem with a ribbon cable. It was due to flux on the pins of the board mounted header. I had soldered it myself and somehow flux had flowed from the other side of the board, through the base of the connector and down the pin.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 26, 2011 07:51AM
Hi Marnargulus - I didn't make the ribbon cable myself. I only checked connections with a multimeter on the header pins to check the connections were soldered without any problems. I'll do this again with MB/Stepper Driver connected.

Hi Nophead - I'll give the pins on the MB and Stepper driver a clean and see if this improves the connections.

Thanks for all of the help - as always, very much appreciated.

Raj.
November 01, 2011 10:40AM
Hi everyone,

Further checks and attempts to repair the above have not been successful. I think have done something which has made things worse as I can no longer get any kind of response/readout from the axis or temperature.- any chance of some ideas into further areas to check?

So, quick update

Hardware - Gen3 electronics, running 5D firmware using RepSnapper.
Problem 1 - The Y axis does not move (cables have been checked along with stepper motor drivers - all OK)
Problem 2 - The temperature does not register on RepSnapper (Message 'Recieved OK T:0 B:0 wih Parameter T:0 B:0)

Action Taken - Cleaning of headers with alcohol and checks made between MB chip and MB header and connection checks of MB header and Stepper Drive Header.

Previously - If the Ribbon cable for the Y axis was pulled out slightly, the Y axis and temperature readings worked. I wanted to fix this as any slight movement resulted in non responsive axis and temperature.

So, I cleaned the pins with some alcohol on a cotton bud and checked for connectivity between the ATMEGA chip and header and then between the headers on both motherboard and stepper motor driver to check the ribbon cable connection. These connections appeared to be unbroken and when the printer was turned on and conected, all seemed to be working (motherboard light pulsing, extruder board too, x and y axis stepper driver lights on). However now there is no response, even when the ribbon cable is pulled out as before.

I'm thinking of removing the header and then giving it another clean, however, i'm not sure if this could cause further problems. Since the connections between the chip/header and Motherboard header/Stepper header, i'm not sure if this is the right approach to take.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Raj
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login