Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Only this Self Replicating Design

Posted by redskinsjbs 
Why Only this Self Replicating Design
June 11, 2008 11:20PM
So I had a thought (This is usually where most think 'uh-oh') and someone else has most likely already thought of it before.

Right now we have the Darwin. This is great, and I built one which is sitting right next to me at the moment. But I had an idea. Why must when we think of replication does the mind immediately move towards additive manufacturing? My idea is to create a replicate-able CNC mill out of MDF and Radiator pipe. I got the idea from the CNC ponoko stuff a while back. Then I saw Brian Dolge's CNC machine he is working on. It uses big, beefy pipes as the sliding rails, and a slick bearing system to keep it automatically seated on those rails. My design would allow the CNC to cut out all of the MDF parts for itself. The way it would attain its larger size (Because the build area is smaller than the machine) is kin to the way the Darwin does so. The Darwin uses cheap steel rod to create a distance between the parts it prints. My CNC design would simply use a piece of MDF to create a length in which the build area is longer than the machine is wide, thereby allowing it to cut out parts for itself.

I know that my explanations aren't very elegant or comprehend-able, but I shall make a drawing to attempt to better my explanation.

Jay
Re: Why Only this Self Replicating Design
June 12, 2008 12:18AM
What about 1.5" diameter gas pipe?
[www.cnczone.com]
[www.cnczone.com]
June 12, 2008 12:44AM
Thats the ticket! Right now it is just a proof of concept idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2008 12:45AM by Jay Swift.

Jay
redskinsjbs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I had an idea. Why must when we think
> of replication does the mind immediately move
> towards additive manufacturing?

One word: flexibility. Subtractive manufacturing requires a lot more time, skill, space, and money to produce a variety of part shapes. Additive fabbing offers the promise of a totally automated build process which you emphatically do not get from subtractive methods.

Gas pipe and MDF routers have been around for a while now. Quite often you'll find that people build the first machine and then use it to cut out parts to rebuild it more cleanly. Even a mushy CNC router will often do a better job than the person who built it can by hand.
VDX
June 12, 2008 04:58PM
... the future of fabbing isn't subtractive or additive ... let the object (or your complete environment) change shape or behaviour at wish - i like the concept of 'utility fog' or Catoms:
[techiteasy.org]

Viktor
June 13, 2008 01:39PM
Go for it Jay! You will find out the limitations and advantages of such a system only in doing it. Friend of mine that has been helping me build the OIT RepRap has also been working on a CNC router made of MDF. Functional and, with a bit of redesign, replicate-able.

Demented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login