Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is error accumulates with generations?

Posted by Vlad 
I afraid of accumulating the inaccuracy in long generations of reprap.

child has a little errors in parts size, grandchild has double errors in parts size, the more generation the more errors will, until it doesnot work at all!
Re: is error accumulates with generations?
June 10, 2008 06:11AM
I used some parts which are not at all that accurate, but I still get decent resolutions. I also printed a part which was not in the design that increased my accuracy considerably. I made another constraint bracket that removed the bad overlay of layers. Before that, my accuracy was limited by a bend in a rod of the Z-platform.

The fact that people can use the same high quality 'master' reference (a ruler will do) to calibrate the machine, and people can change things if they see inaccuracies, will solve this problem. We can compare prints of a grand-grand-child to the same master every time.

Of some variations, you might deliberately leave them in. Remember that in nature, slight (incremental and cumlative) variations have proven to be quite beneficial and even essential to life. The first model is called Darwin for a reason. I guess von Neumann would be a nice name for 3.0 smiling smiley

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
June 10, 2008 06:27AM
The critical dimensions of the machine, for example the squareness of the frame, are set by adjustment and calibration, not by the size of the plastic parts.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 10, 2008 09:53AM
I have a comparison.

A big machine tool manufacture company in my state was Brown and Sharp they made machine tools and used there own equipment to make other machines like lathes...

So it all comes down to making sure the machine is making parts that are at correct dimensions like any machine tool that is why we use and should make more test parts with known dimensions and we request in the tool list you should have at least a pair of vernier calipers. So if I make a set of parts that are off then the next machine should be set to compensate by setting your settings to print correct dimensions. Of course the other issue is printing square which is set on the machine by using jigs and measuring the frame.

Bruce Wattendorf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login