Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Newbie: Advice Please

Posted by rjlee 
RepRap Newbie: Advice Please
June 05, 2008 06:19PM
Hi.

I've only just heard of RepRap today (saw an article on Slashdot), and I have been fascinated by reading the various forums and blogs about it. I find it amazing that I might be able to afford a 3D printer!

I have always been fascinated in model making and mechanical devices, but have never been good at making them, and am excited about the idea of just being able to design a system and just printing the parts to build it from. What I am good at is software, and using a RepRap to get into robotics is also of interest.

But, before taking the plunge, there are a few things I would like to know, that aren't easily answered on the web sites and forums:

1) How long does assembly take, starting from a BitsFromBytes kit, until finally ready to print things?

2) What's the speed of development like? If I were to wait for Darwin 1.1 or Mendal, would I be waiting for weeks or years?

3) Would I be better off looking at RepRap software first, or familiarizing myself with 3D modelling tools? I know a little 3D algebra, but haven't really used 3D software much.

Any other advice is much appreciated!

Re: RepRap Newbie: Advice Please
June 05, 2008 10:15PM
Welcome, jrlee!

I guess I'll be the first to answer you.

I can't speak accurately to #1 as both systems I've built--one currently functional and another "almost" functional--have been repstrap systems made from raw components--pipes or square tubing and such things.

Years and weeks I'm sure. We ARE making great progress but holding your breath for Mendel would be less than advisable. Jump in now if you like or wait for a better system. Your choice.

Get yourself familiar with the RepRap software and such if you plan to build yourself one soon. If you want to wait for Mendel, then just get cozy with AOI or another modeler capable of exporting STL files.

I'd recommend just jumping in. You are interested and so would get a lot of enjoyment from building a system of your own. The Bits from Bytes kits--from all i've heard--are great and get rid of most of the hard building stuff. The systems integration is the part I always have trouble on--like right now on my second machine--and it is the part that generally takes the longest and provides the most problems.

Hope you decide to build. In any case, enjoy yourself and spread the word about RepRap!

Demented
June 06, 2008 04:44PM
Hi!

Thanks for your quick reply, Demented.

The wiki [reprap.org] suggests that building the Cartesian robot from "scratch" would take about 3 days; I reckon that if I build it from a kit, get some wiring practice in first, and preferably get a more mechanically-competent person to help, that I could probably build a complete RepRap in a day (even if I don't get it printing)?

If so, then I'll definitely get started. Or am I being too optimistic?

VDX
June 06, 2008 05:05PM
Hi Robert,

... sounds a bit optimistic, isn't it? grinning smiley

When you didn't have hardcore experiences, then calculate some days more ...

Viktor
June 06, 2008 05:06PM
I think you ought to avoid getting in too big a hurry. Slow and steady gets things working with fewer mistakes.
June 06, 2008 06:06PM
It that case, I will leave it until I can get a week off work to really sink my teeth into it.

In the mean-time, I will check out the software so I can stand a chance of making things once I get it up and running.

Thanks for all your advice.
Anonymous User
June 10, 2008 09:04PM
Hi,

Another newbie here (found my way to RepRap through Reddit - musta missed it on Slashdot).
I have alot of spare time (Read: College Student) and.... the idea of a personal fabrication machine seems freaking awesome to me. I've read about this kind of technology on and off for years - this statement really caught my eye though:
"Instead of printing on bits of paper this 3D printer makes real, robust, mechanical parts. To give you an idea of how robust, think Lego bricks and you're in the right area."
I remember all the fun I used to have and the stuff I used to build with Legos and the idea of having the factory in my hands is, well, enticing.
I do have a couple of questions:

1) What kind of learning curve should I be expecting with the 'bitsfrombytes' kits? What about starting with the products from RRRF? RR Parts lister?

2) How much money should I expect to spend before I'm up and fabricating (assuming I don't accidentally break anything expensive)?

3) On the US$530/$660 kits (Silver/Gold) is there any noteworthy difference other than zinc plated rods and nut covers? Or are those important details?

Thats really all I can think of right now, if you could also recommend any must read threads or any individual areas of knowledge that are a must know before getting started it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
Evan
June 11, 2008 10:22AM
> 1) What kind of learning curve should I be
> expecting with the 'bitsfrombytes' kits? What
> about starting with the products from RRRF? RR
> Parts lister?

bitsfrombytes sells the mechanicals kits. RRRF sells the electronicals kits. You need both and can start with either. The electronics are less expensive and will work with other three-axis stepper motor machines so I would start with that. Salvage some stepper motors from old printers so the motor drivers have something to do. :-)

> 2) How much money should I expect to spend before
> I'm up and fabricating (assuming I don't
> accidentally break anything expensive)?

If you buy everything new and in kit form it looks like around $900. The electronics are $150 plus $35 for the Arduino and $5 for the USB cable ($190 total from RRRF). The mechanicals are
Anonymous User
June 11, 2008 09:13PM
It's not worth going to the gold kit -- just print the stinkin' end caps. You might need to work out something with support material though... spackling paste has been tested and works well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login