Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does RepRap <3 Linux?

Posted by jupdyke 
Does RepRap <3 Linux?
April 16, 2010 09:45PM
I have another random question. I had to give back my sisters laptop which is what was driving my Mendel. Now I need to set up a new machine and I am thinking about using a linux machine. Linux does a better job of managing resources and I would be able to use one of my older computers.

So is there linux versions of the software? Can anyone send me a link?

What I think would be amazing would be a live cd version of any of the linux distributions with the reprap software ready to go. Then you could run your reprap without changing anything. Actually a USB one would be better because you could change your config files and they would stay changed.

anything like that? or anyone willing to give it a go? I like linux, but I am not up to speed to do that easily. But if no one steps up soon I might give it a go.

cheers,
Josh
Re: Does RepRap <3 Linux?
April 17, 2010 02:58AM
Hi Josh,
i`m also using linux(LinuxMint 8).It`s even usable for old men.
All files you can get on the RepRap-repository on sourceforge.net.
If you wanna testing your favorite distribution, most of the Linux-Versions
you can download as a live-cd and burn as a image!( to make it bootable)
Erich
April 17, 2010 04:16AM
Erich,

Thanks for the information. I am currently running Gentoo and am familiar with the live cds. I was just curious if the reprap software was easy to get running on a linux box.

I think a live cd or live usb drive for reprap would be great. Basically any of the linux distributions, with the reprap software compiled, and on a usb thumb drive. You could then just boot off the thumb drive, adjust your config files for your perticular machine and start printing. Then you don't have to have a dedicated machine for the reprap.

I will be setting up a linux box to run the reprap this weekend. so maybe after this weekend I will have a better idea.

just my thoughts,
josh
April 17, 2010 04:54AM
@ jupdyke:
In a german computer-magazin is a good tool for usb-sticks.
For translation use Babelfish.
[www.com-magazin.de]

Erich
April 17, 2010 11:21AM
There was a reprap live CD a while back, but the maintainer got busy with some other stuff and it is no longer current (as far as I know).

I run all the software related to my RepRap on Linux, including 3D design and even PCB design. In general I find the dependencies a little trickier to set up on Linux for most of the software. Just read the installation instructions carefully and follow them and you should be fine.

What specific software programs do you run?

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login