Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End Insulation suggestions needed

Posted by fredlatesta 
Hot End Insulation suggestions needed
March 13, 2012 08:44PM
Hi,

I am looking for ideas on what products I could use to insulate my home made hot end tip. It is not fancy, just a brass bolt, threaded into an aluminum heater block, and a 6 ohm resistor. I found when I put a few wraps of fiberglass pink home insulation around the end, secured with kapton, my hot end was a lot more reliable. I use a fan to cool off the PEEK and I am happy with the results.

I have found that over time, little bits of the fiberglass break free and fall into the prints. While this is not an issue, I would like to find something better.

Can anyone suggest a product that would be a more "cool-pro" way to insulate the tip?

I've always like the look of the Maker Gear style Black Insulation, or their Rubber coated insulation but am not sure where to get it locally. (Ontario, Canada)

--edit--
I see that these guys make something I think might be the same product [www.varflex.com]
Going back to the googles.
--edit--

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 08:52PM by fredlatesta.
Re: Hot End Insulation suggestions needed
March 13, 2012 09:11PM
You can try this ceramic tape: [www.ultimachine.com]
Makerbot sells it as well.
March 14, 2012 04:36PM
You can use the kapton by itself. Five layers should do it.

Having it on there almost doubles the heating rate for me on the Wildseyed hot ends.
March 14, 2012 09:16PM
Thanks for the good ideas.

I've also discovered that the automotive world has heat resistant wire loom products that I think might be an interesting way to go as well.

This company retails specialty heat shrink products and is close to where I am. [www.alta-electronics.com]
March 15, 2012 06:22AM
Don't use heat shrink sleeving on the hot parts of the hot end. It slowly turns to carbon and becomes brittle and conductive.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
March 15, 2012 06:52AM
... there are clear heat shrink sleeves made from silicone, that will withstand some more heat and possibly won't get conductive when overheated ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login