Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did I get the wrong stepper motors?

Posted by jd1828 
Did I get the wrong stepper motors?
January 29, 2012 11:31AM
I got some steppers on ebay. I just got them and seeing them in person I'm starting to think they're not the right ones. They look a bit too small and they don't have the same mounting holes as the other ones I've seen in pictures.

Re: Did I get the wrong stepper motors?
January 29, 2012 12:16PM
Hey there jd1828, i had a similar set of questions in a post below:

6-Wire Stepper Motors

That'll hopefully help you out as it did for me, basically from what i understand & can see from your pictures, you have a 6-wire stepper motor/s, if you read the post by KeithSloan on the link above, that'll answer you question, plus there's a few more great answers there to soak-up!

i dont have a 3d printer yet so i have absolutely NO-Experience concerning 3D Printers (repraps/repstraps) but i am gathering as much info as i can whilst saving up the cash for a Longboat Prusa (from thereprapkitstore in the UK...)...

also it'll be a good idea to check out nophead's web-blog @ hydraraptor.blogspot as he has devoted some really serious time and effort detailing almost every (or indeed every subject, lol) subject concerning repraps and the concepts behind the engineering of them too, i think he's been doing this for 4/5 years so he's got a wealth of knowledge in this field!

Many thanks again to nophead for the amazing blog website! (& i hope you dont mind me referring anyone to your website @ nophead! no offence was intended winking smiley )

Hope this helped you out,

Kind & Best Regards,

Oneil
January 29, 2012 12:36PM
A post on the CNC forum gives this spec for the motors you have - 17PM-K018-P11ST 200 steps / rev. Flanged dimensions: 42mm Length: 32.5 mm Shaft: 5mm Length Shaft: 22.5 mm Resistivity: 6.2 ohms (center: 3.1 Ohms) Weight: 0.35 kg Momen: ~ 0.25 Nm

So they could well be a little underpowered, normal Reprap motors would be something like this

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 29, 2012 03:04PM
Thanks. I guess I'll have to get some new ones then. I did hook them up just to make sure I put the RAMPS board together properly and everything worked with the test code. So that's a good start at least.
January 29, 2012 07:06PM
Definitely get the double stacked stepper motors. I bought a bunch of used steppers from an MIT flea market that were the smaller kind like you have in that first image and they seemed like they worked but every now and then the couldn't keep up with a signal and would just stall. This turned out to be a huge headache after you already printed 50% of an object and you saw that it was printing the next layer 1cm offset from the rest of the print! It is definitely worth investing in the higher torque motors in my opinion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login