High-res multi-colour fast RP

Posted by sai 
sai
High-res multi-colour fast RP
February 21, 2007 01:14AM
These are stunning:

[www.rapidprototyping.co.nz]
[www.rapidprototyping.co.nz]

Not actually having seen such a machine, I wonder what the colouring process is.

I'm especially impressed with the ball bearing assembly that was supposedly made as a single build, and it works. That's a bit of a neat trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2007 01:16AM by Simon McAuliffe.
Re: High-res multi-colour fast RP
February 21, 2007 07:04AM
The ball bearing would be made possible by the fine layering permitted by the inkjet head. You'd have a layer of powder, a fine layer of binder, let it dry (its probably a heated chamber) then the next layer of powder. The powder would have to be adequately removed but assuming that is possible then there is no reason why the bearing shouldn't work.
February 21, 2007 03:51PM
The place is right there in Wellington. That's pretty close to you isn't it Simon?

They have a ZCorp printer which uses starch or plaster to build the models. It's a LOT faster than FDM and it's easy to colour by adding dye to the binder fluid. Problem is that you wind up with a plaster or starch MODEL of what you designed, not the real thing. Wish it wasn't that way. :-(

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
February 22, 2007 12:22AM
wow, that was really stunning. well guys... now we got something to shoot for =)
February 23, 2007 07:01PM
I have one of the Z-Corp ball bearings on my desk - they like to give them away as freebies. As Forrest says, the results aren't physically strong. Though you can improve that a lot by dunking the finished part in a bath of resin that then soaks into it. It shouldn't be too hard to add this as a RepRap option - the main machine stays the same. You just replace the extruder with an ink-jet head and have a device to wipe a thin layer of powder over each layer; I once sketched out such a powder distribution system; of course, RepRap can make it all except the print head...

Oh - and it's covered by an MIT patent. Not a problem if you're a private individual making one for your own use, but a no-no if you use it (or its products) to make money (UK law).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 07:03PM by Adrian Bowyer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login