Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

larger nozzle sizes - what do you think?

Posted by michaelc 
larger nozzle sizes - what do you think?
October 16, 2011 03:09PM
I've been thinking about trying out some nozzles wider than .5mm, could anyone tell me their experiences?

- Can I produce prints quicker?
- Is the resolution vastly different?

Mike
Re: larger nozzle sizes - what do you think?
October 16, 2011 04:16PM
I'm using about 0.7mm nozzle in my prusa.
The resolution is OK for replication prusa parts. That produce a bit less resolution but good result include pulleys.
Pulley's dents not 100% triangles but seen ok and functional. holes for rods are perfect.
In my case, need reduce speed because now flow more plastic at same extruder espeed and that drop temp when filling sad smiley
I see a double resistor extruder. i'll try in some days.
Tested with my wade's extruder using ABS & PLA & soft PLA.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mendel Prusa with Gen7 v1.2 PCB , Wade's extruder 0.7mm. Custom Heated bed.
"BIG" Mendel Pusa with modified Gen7 V1.3 PCB , Wade's extruder 0.5mm with modified hotend (about 500x600x450mm printable area) <--- under construction
Plastics: Black PLA, Soft PLA, White ABS
Software: Skeinforge 4 for STL to GCODE, RepRap Host for print GCODE. Blender for STL designs.
October 16, 2011 04:18PM
I have used a welding nozzle that printed 0.8mm diameter filament giving 0.64mm layers 0.96mm wide.

Yes it is much faster and stronger.

The Z resolution is always the layer height. The minimum feature size is about twice the filament width in XY but the XY resolution is determined by the axes and the filament tolerance, not its size.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
October 17, 2011 07:40AM
... atached is an image where i was testing printing PLA with a 0.8mm nozzle.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Attachments:
open | download - Printing PLA with 0_8mm nozzle.jpg (45 KB)
October 17, 2011 08:05PM
On the lower end, there is a limit to how thin the bead can be. Mostly due to the repeatability limits of the machine. In my case, while it is possible to print with a 0.18mm nozzle/layer height, the filament at the edges does not always land directly on top of the previous layer, causing occasional loose strings on the perimeter.

0.25 seems to be the sweet spot, but I keep mine at 0.33mm at the moment.
October 18, 2011 07:49AM
My question is, when printing massive huge parts, with a higher nozzle diameter, the warping is expected to be ... more or less? Can anyone shed some light on that?
October 18, 2011 10:38AM
I would expect it to be approximately equal, as you will still have the same temperature gradient overall.

www.Fablicator.com
October 18, 2011 01:45PM
Larger parts warp more because the plastic shrinks by a percentage, so at the ends of a long object the difference between a hot and cold layer is greater, making it curl more. At some point it gets impossible to hold down unless you use a heated chamber at just below the glass transition temperature.

I don't know if using a larger nozzle affects it one way or the other.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 18, 2011 02:00PM
nophead Wrote:
> Larger parts warp more because the plastic shrinks
> by a percentage, so at the ends of a long object
> the difference between a hot and cold layer is
> greater, making it curl more. At some point it
> gets impossible to hold down unless you use a
> heated chamber at just below the glass transition
> temperature.
>
> I don't know if using a larger nozzle affects it
> one way or the other.

I've found blue painter's tape to be the answer to this problem for me. Even huge objects printed in PLA hug the tape and don't let go, almost to the point of being a challenge to get them off the tape! But I haven't had a single warp or adhesion problem at all with PLA on blue painter's tape.
October 18, 2011 05:31PM
I was using normal and cheap yellow painter's tape with PLA too without heated bed, but need to be a good quality tape, need higher temp than normal and pla is difficult to take off from tape. Some big parts have a adhesion problems if using the normal pla temperature.
Dont use painter's tape with soft pla due have a lot of adhesion to tape and need to destroy the soft pla to take off tape sad smiley

Mendel Prusa with Gen7 v1.2 PCB , Wade's extruder 0.7mm. Custom Heated bed.
"BIG" Mendel Pusa with modified Gen7 V1.3 PCB , Wade's extruder 0.5mm with modified hotend (about 500x600x450mm printable area) <--- under construction
Plastics: Black PLA, Soft PLA, White ABS
Software: Skeinforge 4 for STL to GCODE, RepRap Host for print GCODE. Blender for STL designs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login