Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Zen Toolworks cnc mill to 3D Printer Conversion...

Posted by Thehawkster 
My Zen Toolworks cnc mill to 3D Printer Conversion...
November 09, 2012 05:21PM
The new extruder, just introduced this week by Zen Toolworks, makes it a snap to convert any of their cnc mills, to a fully functioning 3D Printer.

This extruder is an all metal, top quality extruder. And the new backplate makes it a snap to install on any of their machines.

I used a Sanguinololu controller, and loaded it with the Merlin firmware.
The hotend was from hotends.com.

Having absolutely no experience doing 3D printing, I was just a bit reluctant to tackle this build.
But with all the great information available here, and in the Zen Tools Wiki, it was a whole lot easier than I ever thought it would be.

My machine is a low gantry mill. I only have 2 inches on Z. But I am still able to do quality prints with this setup.
But I am hooked now, and plan on raising the gantry to 5 inches.

What a GREAT addition to my shop. Coupled with my DYI 24x24 cnc mill, I will be busy making new things for a long time to come.....

What fun.......

Ken
Re: My Zen Toolworks cnc mill to 3D Printer Conversion...
February 03, 2013 09:06PM
Awesome Ken! I have just about all I need to get my 7x7 up. Need to get that plate to mount my Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder on. I too am going to hold off on the Z enlargement till I get everything up and running.

I also got a J-Head for the hot end. My only beef is I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out to mount it. I notice your wonderful aluminum mount and wondering if you made it or is it something purchased? Any help on wrapping this up would be great.

Kevin Groce
Great setup! I too would LOVE to know how you mounted the J-head...that metallic mount is indeed great....can you share how you made that or where you purchased it from? Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login